9.

exo are the KINGS of Kpop

also, HAPPY CHRISTMAS GUYS! :)

CHAPTER NINE

I couldn't help it, I began to panic.

The words crept up my spine like slow-spreading fire. Little droplets of sweat began to form everywhere. I tried to play it cool, keeping my face expressionless at his words, praying that his words were the result of a sliver of suspicion and nothing more. Auden's lips were still stretched into a smirk but his eyes betrayed him. I could only hope that he'd begin to doubt himself.

"So far you've hooked up with two of my pack members. How many more are you planning to bed?" Was he referring to this when he said his previous words? While that was relieving, this current reference was angering. "Wow, you make peace treaties with that mouth?" Auden only nodded, "Then I suggest you watch your back, you never know when they'll come for you." I said. He shook his head as though I'd cracked a joke, "Can't touch me even if they tried." Sneering, I retorted, "Casual words for someone who's Alpha." He didn't say anything back.

"Why did you shift packs?" I question, breaking the silence between us. "How do you know about that?" Auden asks suspiciously. "It isn't a secret then..." I divert. Auden glares before he responds. "My old pack was very different...they prided themselves in it but I decided that it wasn't my cup of tea..." He sighs. "Different how?" I probed. "Just different." I roll my eyes. "How did you get yourself entangled with Rowan?" I question. "She was the Alpha's daughter." He states. After a moment of silence, I realize that was the end of his answer. "And?" I press. "And we got engaged." He shrugs.

"Just like that? No getting to know each other, customary dates, nothing?" I question. He shakes his head, "It wasn't required. The Alpha knew I'd make a good leader and every Alpha wants an even better successor which is why he paired his only daughter with me. In the werewolf world, feelings aren't as important as power and position are." Auden replies. "So you'll get married to her? Without knowing anything about her?" I press my lips together. He nods, "I've been engaged to her for a long time now, I know her, I respect her, that's enough to lead a life together."

I lean back, "You'll live a long time, how are you sure you won't stray?" Auden looks surprised, "I've heard that it's acceptable in the werewolf world, considering how most of the time, the matings aren't with true mates." He nods once more, "It's acceptable. But isn't a path I'd ever take. Matings, whether true or not, are sacred. The position they hold in a wolves' life shouldn't be tainted by a mere act of momentary lust." He explains.

"Surprising," I comment. "Why?" Auden asks. "I'd taken you for a playboy, courtesy to your attitude of course." I continue. "I've lived a long time, Alexa, and I've realized that sometimes, you have to give up some things, to clear space for better ones." I cock a brow, "Does that mean you did fool around before?" He laughs, "Guess you'll never know." I smile, shaking my head. "You have a lot of secrets." The words slip from my lips before I can stop them. "You behave like you don't have your own." Auden calmly says. "I do." I nod, sighing.

"You lied to Jamie." He says suddenly. I keep a poker face, "About what?" When my eyes meet his, my blood runs cold. "About 'who' you are." I have to keep myself from swallowing. My lips suddenly feel dry. "Who do you think I am, then?" He smirks, "More like 'what'.Her - Our enemy. A demon," I suck in a sharp breath. I try to bolt up the stairs but am pulled down.

"Relax, I won't hurt you." It's hard to believe him. His calmness on the situation is highly unbelievable. "I don't believe you." His eyes and hands are pinning me down on the couch, the sternness in them making it harder to believe his words. "I don't care." He says. "Why'd you lie?" Auden asks. "I didn't." I defend myself. "Nothing has been a lie. She's my friend, I was going to tell her...soon. I didn't want her to be afraid of me." Auden smirks, "I don't trust you." I give him a smirk of my own, "I don't care." He goes silent.