And So It Begins

I told y'all there'd be another update real soon! Here it is! This is also the chapter where the Ghost Adventures Crew makes their appearances! What will happen next? Find out in the latest installment of Flicker In The Dark!

-Stacey <3

If only that was the truth. For when I went to Eleanor’s room the next day, it was empty. The bed was made up and the curtains were drawn. It looked like no one had been in this room at all. Maybe Eleanor had been a figment of my starved imagination.

    Two orderlies wheeled a gurney into the room and deposited a thin, young boy onto Eleanor’s bed.

    “Did you hear what happened to little Eleanor Winston?” One orderly asked another as they helped make the boy comfortable.

    “No, what happened to her? She was such a sweet girl.” The other replied.

    “She died late last night on the operating table. Her condition worsened drastically and Dr. Campbell felt that her best bet for recovery was to attempt to remove the tumor. Eleanor was in surgery for two hours before her heart gave out. They couldn’t revive her.”

    “That’s a shame.” The orderly sighed, shaking her head.

    I froze in place. It couldn’t be. Eleanor was dead? The orderlies had to be wrong! She had seen Eleanor just yesterday!

    “No!” I screamed. The orderlies stopped suddenly. They looked at each other before one spoke.

    “What was that? Did you hear that Joshua?” The woman asked.

    “Yeah I did Sarah. It sounded like a woman screaming.” Joshua replied.

    “Whatever it was its gone now. It must’ve been someone’s loved one dying.” Sarah said.

    I ran from the room on a gust of wind. I knew the orderlies would be shivering at the cold blast of air. I didn’t know where I was going. I just knew I had to get away from Eleanor’s room. I ran down the hallway as fast as I could and down the stairs to my old room. Nothing could prepare me for what I found myself face to face with in my room.

    “Oliver? Oliver what are you doing in here?” I asked as I walked into my old room. I used his energy to be loud enough to be heard.

    “Leave me alone! Stop haunting me Emma! I’m sorry! I’m sorry I killed you! Go away!” Oliver screamed at me. He stood on a chair; a noose around his neck. It was tied over a water pipe in the center of the room.

    “Oliver stop you don’t want to do this. This isn’t the way out!” I pleaded. He didn’t listen; he wouldn’t listen.

    Tears streaming down his face, he said his final words.

    “I’m sorry Emma. I’m sorry I killed you Emma. I love you Emma and I had to do it. I overheard a few of the doctors talking the day before I took your life. They found the plague virus in your blood work. They said you only had a few days left to live; a week at the most. Emma you’ve seen how horribly and tragically the plague victims died. Their bodies deteriorating as they slowly wasted away. I couldn’t let you go through that Emma. I thought the best way was to end your life while you were still healthy. I’m so sorry Emma.” Oliver stated.

    “I forgive you Oliver.” I replied. But it was too late.

    Oliver kicked the chair out from under his feet, the rope snapping his neck. Oliver’s body swung lifelessly from the pipe, his eyes closed in peaceful death.

    “Oliver! No!” I screamed out; though I knew it was futile. Oliver was dead. Oliver was dead and it was because of me. I reached out and tried to untie the rope from around the pipe, but my hands went right through it.