Chapter 5

Chapter 05 –

Becky woke up at five pm sharp and her head was filled with Sheldon. As if she had just seen him and was only charging her batteries for another... causality.

Fact was, Rebecca Carlson hated surprises. And nothing but that had happened since she had landed on that God-forsaken city.

Except for Sheldon Cooper... Curious as he might be, he was the best surprise she ever had, even better than her 160GB iPod...

She chose her best dress, even bothered to tie her hair in the most decent fashion she could think of, chose some random nice lipstick and...

There she was, pathetically standing by his door.

"That's stupid."

She was turning back, ready to go, when someone yanked the door open, and asked:

"What's stupid?"

"Shel... Sheldon!"

"Are you okay, Becky? You look so pale and shaky..."

"I... I'm fine!" she said, sounding way too high-pitched to be convincing.

"Come in. You probably need a good cup of tea." he said, gently guiding her through the door.

"Um... I don't like tea. But thanks. What are you doing? I don't mean to interrupt, or bother! I was just passing by and I thought I should say 'hi'!"

He kept looking at her without making a sound, interested, and even amused, God help her.

"Hi! See?!" she was really nervous now, "I said it. Now, then. Bye!"

"No, please, you should stay. Soon I'll do my laundry and at the moment, you're not interrupting anything."

"Oh, great." she tried to pull herself together.

He smiled at her, warmly and... in a strange, intimate fashion, before turning around to resume whatever he was doing.

She just sat somewhere and stared at her nails, so as not to fidget or worse, hover. Now she was damn well stuck there, with no possibilities of escaping this "Endless Boredoom".

'So rude! I should have brought my iPod. No, I shouldn't have come here in the first place! Why the hell did I even come?!'

He was completely unaware of her presence or existence, simply tapping on his PC keyboard... That infernal clicking noise, maddening her...

She snorted, as lowly as she could, and got up to get away from there.

"Where are you going?!" he asked, surprised, and she assumed it was probably for finally noticing her in the room.

"Away."

"But you just got here!"

"Yeah! And I am already leaving! That's why I said it was stupid! Bye!"

She left, shutting the door.

Sheldon sighed, exasperated. Now what?! Was she bipolar?! He just couldn't fathom that creature!

He knew something (didn't know exactly why, though). He knew he had to go after her and quick.

888888888888888888888

And Becky ended up in bed, but again, with her iPod...

"Oh, my God, I feel it in the air

Telephone wires above all sizzlin' like your snare

Honey I'm on fire I feel it everywhere

Nothing scares me anymore

Kiss me hard before you go

Summertime sadness

I just wanted you to know

That baby you're the best"

Wow... Lying in her bed, with absolutely no prospects and listening to corny songs. 'What a great way to go Becky. Kudos. All your college savings to shit! Your Mum would be soooo proud! W00t, w00t!'

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" she pathetically yelled at herself, shutting her eyes even more tight to banish the nasty, unwelcome thoughts.

"Well, there's no need to talk to me like that, I've been knocking at your door for about ten minutes!"

Becky screamed and nearly yanked the earphones off her ears, almost forgetting they were 'original Apple stuff'.

"Oh my God! What the hell are you doing in my room?! Get out!"

"You know, this thing is causing severe damage to your hearing."

"FYI, this thing has been keeping me alive. Now, get the hell out of my room, and my house, for that matter!"

"Your... iPod keeps you alive?" he asked, intrigued.

"It seems you are the one with severe hearing loss. I told you to leave!"

"So you can call me back again?" he said, sounding terribly pleased with himself.

"How... how dare you! Okay, then! I will not call you, ever again, or visit you, or have any kind of interaction with you. Understood? And if you dare to throw anything else to my face, by God I'll beat the crap out of you!"

She kept there, staring at his stony face, waiting for some reaction.

"Becky, would you tell me why you left my house without even saying good-bye? That was very, very rude."

Becky was astounded. He just... so, he had... no idea?

"Oh, Shel, I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. You were obviously busy and I was in the way, so, I left."

"This doesn't seem right. You were not in the way at all, you were quiet and I was enjoying the company. Then, you snapped and left, so I thought I should come here and ask you if you are having some kind of issue."

She was mortified, even though there was no reason to be... Or was there...?

"I... 'snapped'... "

"Becky, you can tell me anything, there is nothing I can't understand in this world."

"Obviously, there are many things you can't, Shel..." she sighed, "You just don't know you can't. But that's good! I mean, sort of... if you don't become some omnipotent being... Now, that could be a problem."

"Yes, I know. But what are you talking about?"

"See, Sheldon? That's what I'm talking about. Anyway, doesn't matter. You'd better go, I suppose, you probably have better to do and, oh! No need to tell that is true, I know, I know..."

"I wasn't going to say anything. Why do you assume you can read my mind?"

"I don't... I didn't... Sheldon! This is getting nowhere! Please! Just... go."

"Okay. Shall I come back later, or ever again?"

It was, probably, a serious question.

"I don't know." she sighed throwing herself on the sofa, "Whatever."

"No," he said, closing the door and re-entering the place, "This is not an answer. I have to know whether you want me to come back later, or ever! Just then, I'll know how to proceed."

She lifted her face to look at him, and said:

"You are such a weirdo. Beats me why the hell I fell in love with you."

And she resumed to silently moan face-down on the sofa.

Sheldon decided he did not want to know any more answers and left the apartment.