Chapter 12

Chapter 12 –

"Fascinating." said Sheldon, to nothing in particular, while he held Becky, lying in her bed.

"Dare I ask you what?"

He didn't have the courage to confess her he was experiencing some strange, amazing reactions, that caused his hands, even his toes, to become quite numb. In fact, he felt that every time after sharing that... 'connection' with her.

"So, um," she sat on the bed, lifting the covers up her chest to start a conversation "'fascinating', huh? Well, I don't suppose I should flatter myself..."

"I've been thinking, Becky. I think we should get married."

He simply delivered that sentence bluntly, but with a concerning nonchalance. Becky didn't process the information at first and when she finally got it, she blinked, several times.

"What?! Are you... You're... proposing?! But... Just like that?"

"Why, yes, of course. It seems the logical solution."

"What?! Logical?!"

"Yes, you yourself said you are... 'broke'. I could provide for you, and since you don't seem to find a suitable job, that problem would also be solved."

"Oh my God!" she cried and then, she actually started crying. But he misinterpreted her reaction completely.

"There, there, you don't have to cry... I say, I will never understand women. So, what is your decision?"

"I mean, wow..." she said, trying hard to stop the tears from falling, "I don't know, Sheldon... I have to think about it. Hey, how about you leave me alone for a while, so I can make a decision?"

"Are you... feeling all right, Becky? You seem... odd."

"No, no, honey, I'm... I'm fine. Please, why don't you go and stay with your friends for a while?"

"But Leonard probably isn't home. Is something the matter? You do look agitated..."

She didn't want to hurt him, no matter how much he had hurt her just now. He probably had no idea. And she simply wouldn't begin an altercation in bed. It didn't feel... appropriate.

But then, neither did that 'proposal'.

"Okay, um... So, you know how weird I can get, right? So, let me just think it over okay? Bye."

He felt dislocated and disappointed. But wouldn't argue and try to make a point. 'Why did she have to be so difficult?!'

When he left, she burst into tears.

888888888888888888888888888888888

Becky refused to contact Sheldon or give a single thought about the subject. Instead, she spent the whole Sunday visiting random Malls so as to avoid any interaction with him, in case he would demand an answer.

On Monday, she decided to dive into work. There was no other way and at least, she had a job... That, if she could keep this one.

When she got home, she threw her bag on the sofa, turned the TV on and also the laptop, not knowing exactly why, since she was actually going to shower. But for a while, she thought she deserved a break... She threw herself on the sofa, just like her bag and stared at the TV without actually seeing anything. She was dozing off, when someone started knocking on her door and she very well knew who it was.

"Damn it!" she cursed under her breath. "Come in, Sheldon. It's not locked."

"Hello, Becky."

"Hi." she replied, bored. "What do you want? Please, sit down."