Somewhat Depressing Chapter

"You're not actually serious are you?" Gerard asks. He tugs away from Mikey as he's pulled off of the train reluctantly. Mikey has given him literally no real reason for anything in the past day. He's been pulling Gerard along with him for twenty seven years, but he's never gotten used to it. Mikey is probably the only thing linking Gerard with humanity still. Without him, Gerard would be a hermit with a large collection of birds. Maybe stamps. Or both. Birds and stamps.

"Like, we're not actually doing this," Gerard continues when Mikey keeps tugging. Really, if there was any doubt in Gerard's mind about where they're going, he would have voiced it fifty minutes ago. He's kind of curious though. He wants to know what's going on in Mikey's freaky little head. In all actuality, it's more like Mikey's slightly below average sized head.

"You're not that dumb," Mikey says, still pulling him.

"No, I mean I've figured out where we're going, but why are we going there is the biggest question," Gerard says.

"Because," Mikey says.

"Oh god, you're just like he who must not be named. Because is not a reason, Mikey."

"Voldemort?"

"Yes Voldemort, of course I was talking about Voldemort," Gerard says sarcastically.

"Gerard, you cannot go around saying things like 'he who must not be named' and expect people not to make Harry Potter jokes, got that? This is the 21st century. If you want to go somewhere that people don't know what Harry Potter is, you will have to use a time machine."

Gerard groans, and sighs when Mikey amazingly is able to hail a cab in under five seconds. Maybe it's his death glare. No one else Gerard has ever met is able to get a taxi that quickly. Now obviously it's true that Gerard only really knows like six people, but Mikey is astonishingly talented in getting what he wants. It's probably that murderous vibe he gives off. Gerard's still not quite sure that his brother isn't Norman Bates.

"Wow, so we're just going to barge in unannounced then?" Gerard asks, "Is this some sort of plot? What are we actually doing?"

"We're getting in a cab, Gerard," Mikey says to him, as if Gerard just grew a third head, and Gerard groans loudly. He thinks about running away for a moment before realizing that Mikey has longer legs. And he's superhuman.

"But what is going to happen when we arrive at our destination?"

"We are going to get out of the cab and pay the kind sir for his troubles," Mikey replies when Gerard sits down next to him. He makes a loud sighing sound and tries to find an infallible way to ask a question that won't result in Mikey answering with something to keep him in a circle of confusion.

"Okay, Mikey, why on earth did you decide to drag me out of bed at two in the afternoon on a Monday to go to our old house in the middle of shitville New Jersey?"

"That is not the name of this town," Mikey says, after telling the cabbie the address. For some reason it smells like burnt rubber and fish in the cab, and Gerard would really like to pretend he's not curious of why that is.

"I will punch you in the face, mikeyway, don't think I won't."

"We need to pick up something," he replies.

"Something that we can't get in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world?" Gerard asks, blinking at him.

"Yes."

"Oh. Well alright then, that's all the information I need, don't bother telling me what it is that we're getting," Gerard says as sarcastically as he can manage.