Chapter 1: Hawkins

Intro:

November of 1983 has been a strange month for everyone in Hawkins. For a small town in Indiana, it was rare that anything notable ever happened - good or bad. But this was bad. Will Byers has gone missing and it's all anyone in the town has been talking about. The mayor has been releasing statements all week, parents have been panicking nonstop, and even national reporters have been circling the town, trying to point their cameras and microphones at the latest exclusive information they could get on the story. At Hawkins Middle and High though, it was more then a story. Will Byers is a person. People know him and people wanted him found and alive.

"JULIA BENNETT! YOU ARE GOING TO BE LATE FOR THE BUS!"

I rolled over in my bed and wrapped my pillow over my head to try to drown out my father's yelling. I sat up and rubbed my eyes to see what time it really was. I heard the door slam shut, which meant my dad went to work. I had twenty minutes to get ready and be at the bus station. Honestly, I could ditch if I wanted to. My dad was never home due to the fact that he worked every single day and night and since my mom lived at the hospital now. No one was around to see if I actually went to school, but if I stayed home I would have nothing else better to do anyways. So I got up and started my morning.

I rifled through my drawers and slid on my loose fitting, yet still fitting jeans and pulled on a striped t-shirt over my head. I grabbed my backpack, an orange, and ran out the door to the bus stop down the street. I made it in time before the bus came and then some. I leaned against the bus stop sign and pulled out my Walkman. My rich grandmother bought it for my birthday last year with some cassettes. My dad wanted to sell it for some cash since my grandmother and my father don't have a great relationship and she won't give him anything, but my grandmother told him she would give him money if he let me keep it so he did and she gave him enough money to pay our electric bill.

As I was rewinding my Jefferson Airplane tape, Mike Wheeler, who lived a couple streets down from me, road his bike right up to where I was standing.

"Hey Julia." He said as he stomped his feet right in front of me to stop his bike.

"Hey Mike."

"Has Nancy been hanging around Steve a lot lately? She won' t tell me if they're dating or not."

Mike and I have known each other for a while. He's been very friendly to me ever since Nancy and I used to be friends in elementary school. We're not enemies or had a fight and never speak anymore, but things change and people change and we just went our separate ways. She hangs out with people I don't really like, but whenever it's just the two of us talking she is still nice to me. We're not close friends anymore, just acquaintances. Mike and I still talk everyday though, since he rides his bike down my street to go to school.

"You know, I'm not sure." I had seen them together, but I couldn't be certain and I'm sure Nancy would be mad at me if I said anything to her younger brother about it.

"Oh, okay. Thanks anyways." He started to peddle off to school when I felt the need to say something.

"Hey Mike!" I yelled out. He was a few feet away, but he turned around to hear me. "I'm sorry about Will! I'm sure he's okay!"

Mike waved and went back to making his way to school. The bus had stopped in front of me and I hopped on. Throughout the bus ride, I couldn't help but wonder if that was wrong to say. Should I have even boughten that up? I hope I didn't make Mike sad. I finally got the chance to listen to Jefferson Airplane as the school bus pulled up to Hawkins High.

**Hey guys! I hope you like the first chapter to this! Let me know what you think!**

**Just so everyone knows, I do not own anything except the plot of this story which includes the characters (except my own), the show Stranger Things, and the gifs and pictures used**

**Also, if you are trying to figure out what has already happened in terms of a timeline between this and the show, Will is already missing (clearly), and Eleven is with Mike in his house**