Chapter 11: Haunted

Out of breath, I held on to Jonathan, sobbing. I wrapped my arms around him and breathed heavily into the crook of his neck. My mind was racing, not comprehending fully what I had just seen. Only something out of a nightmare, could look that devilish. But sadly, I was not asleep. I was awake and this monster was real.

"I'm here." Jonathan whispered to me. I kept holding onto him for safety.

"Jonathan..." I started, but he hushed me.

"You don't have to say anything right now." I felt him run his hand down the back of my head.

  I held onto Jonathan for another minute, still not wanting to let go, but it was late and we couldn't stay outside in the cold for much longer and I also never wanted to see that tree again. Jonathan and I helped each other up off of the ground, grabbed our things, and started to walk back to his house. I felt his arm wrapped around my shoulder, as Jonathan guided me in the right direction. I was still crying and started to feel myself shaking, but I wasn't sure if it was from the cold or from the haunting image of the monster.

"I'm going to take you home now, Julia, okay?" Jonathan told me, as I nodded my head up and down. I was too shaken up to even say anything back to him.

We finally reached Jonathan's house and we immediately got into his car. Jonathan opened the door for me and shut it once I sat down. The drive home felt longer then any other, and I could feel Jonathan's eyes checking on me every couple of minutes. I didn't know what to say. All I could think about was the monster and it's teeth and how it was so ready to destroy me. I tried to stop my crying, but the warm tears continued to flow out from my eyes. The only good part being that they kept my cold cheeks warm. We pulled into my dark, empty driveway that now looked scary to me. Jonathan turned the car off and we both got out of the car. I got my key out of my backpack and unlocked the door. I turned on the lights and felt a relief to be able to be back in my drab, dull house.

"Please, stay with me." I turned to Jonathan, feeling the tears swelling up inside of me. Holding them back, was extremely hard.

"Okay." Jonathan nodded as I led him upstairs.

     I grabbed my pajamas and changed in the bathroom, as Jonathan changed into an old pair of sweatpants that were my dad's but were given to me since I love roomy, baggy clothes. I came back and sat on my bed next to Jonathan.

"Don't leave me alone, okay?" I faced Jonathan as he tried to smile at me. I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"We should try and get some sleep." He suggested, fully aware that I probably wouldn't get much of it, but I nodded anyways.

     Jonathan grabbed a blanket that was folded on top of my bed and a pillow and laid them on the floor. I was so thankful that he was here for me, when nobody else was. That was the only thing that I could think of that made me smile, even the slightest. I laid in my bed and under the covers. My light in my room was still on and I didn't want to turn it off. I still didn't feel safe.

"Could you....uh, um... come up here?" I asked Jonathan.