Chapter 12: Memories

Jonathan walked into my arms, crying. Was Will really dead? Did the monster kill him and his body was found somehow? So many questions and not enough answers. I was sad too, but overall more confused as to how Will and the monster tied together. Did Will just run away and had something bad happened to him? Was this somehow a coverup? I just didn't know.

"I have to go home." Jonathan told me, heading out the door as I followed him, stopping at my steps to watch him leave.

    Jonathan slid into the driver's seat as I stood on my front step. His eyes were red, the same as mine from the night before. I felt a tear escape my eye. Watching him leave my house, hurt and crying was painful. He loves Will so much, I just hope that this wasn't it. I waved to Jonathan and stood outside until his car was no longer in plain sight.

    I went inside and back up into my bedroom. I looked at my mirror, facing my reflection and pondered if what I was wearing was decent enough to go see my mother in. My mom always liked dressing up and dressing me up so I decided to change into something a little nicer. Maybe even apply some makeup.

   I put on a maroon-purple dress with sleeves to my elbows and flower applique around the bottom and neckline. My mom bought it for me years ago, yet some how it still managed to fit.

     I then just put on some foundation, blue eyeshadow, mascara, blush, and lip balm and  slipped on some black flat ballet shoes,  also throwing on my olive green parka jacket, and headed back downstairs

     I then just put on some foundation, blue eyeshadow, mascara, blush, and lip balm and  slipped on some black flat ballet shoes,  also throwing on my olive green parka jacket, and headed back downstairs. I grabbed the note with the two dollars from the counter and headed out the door to walk towards the bus station.

    The bus stop for Hawkins High was on the same street as the bus station so it wasn't too much further from my weekday route to school. I sat down on a bench, waiting for the bus, enjoying the breeze. My head was feeling fuzzy, like I couldn't focus fully on anything. Too much has been going on lately, and all at once. My life hasn't been this chaotic since, well since my mom left.

   The bus pulled up to me, and opened it's doors. An older man was driving named George, according to a name tag I noticed, as I stepped onto the bus.

"Where are you going ma'am?" He asked.

"Elwood, first." I started with, since I had many stops. I held my note in hand.

"No stops to Elwood today." George started. "Is Noblesville okay?" He asked.

"Perfect." One less stop for me, I thought to myself as I gave George a dollar, who gave me back change of fifty cents.

  On the bus was an older couple, a young mother and father with a baby, and a man in his late forties. It wasn't crowded, which I liked, but I do like to people watch. You only truly know youself and your own behaviors, so it's interesting to me to observe other people and how they act. The baby was crying the whole time, the older couple were clearly tourists looking at a map, and the man in his forties just sat in silence like me.