Chapter 23: Where Are You?

After witnessing friendships being restored, we all flocked to Lucas to ask what he found on his own journey and what he knew. We all sat around him on the dirt and listened carefully to everything he said. Lucas grabbed some sticks that formed an uneven hexagon and put an old soda can in the middle, explaining that his compass led him around the fence of sticks and the soda can represented the lab where he felt the portal was. None of us really knew that there was a lab in Hawkins, but Lucas said it was a lab of science and the department of energy. Assuming it was some sort of government or military thing, Mike said his dad said that they make weapons there. We all turned to Eleven, realizing that that was what they were using Eleven for and how bad of people they truly were. 

"So what do we do now?" I asked Mike.

"We can't go home. We're fugitives." He answered. He was right, and they wanted to hurt us.

"Guys?" Dustin gained all of our attentions when the sound of a helicopter was coming our way. A huge black copter came into sight as we all started to feel a rush of terror.

   We needed hide. We grabbed the boy's bikes and shoved them under the old school bus, so no one above us could see them and assume any of us were here. Climbing the stairs and into the school bus, we all ducked and stayed as low to the ground as possible. Jonathan and I were in the back corner. He yanked my wrist to hook my attention and he got it. 

"What?" I whispered to him.

    Without saying a word, I could read Jonathan's eyes. That's the beauty in getting to know a person. You get the ability to read them like a book through their behaviors and ways about them. Jonathan wanted me to know that he was here and it was going to be okay. That our pact of never leaving one another was still in place and that we were going to get through this together. I held onto Jonathan's arm, waiting for what was next to come.

   The noise of the helicopter stopped, but we were not going to take the chance of leaving the bus. It could be a trap, or they could be here for all we knew. We started to sit up a little bit, and become more relax then before, though we were all still on our guard. Suddenly, a static voice was coming through Mike's walkie talkie that sounded familiar. Mike took it out of his backpack, when I recognized who it was.

"Is that Nancy?" I asked. Her voice was asking if we copied and to pick up, saying it was an emergency.

"Pick it up!" Dustin said.

"No, what if it's a trick?" Mike suggested, being as clever as usual.

"It's your sister!" Lucas yelled back. 

"What if the bad men are there and making her say it?" Mike asked, looking at all of us. We came to the conclusion of not answering it, when a different yet still familiar voice came on the walkie. It was Chief Hopper. 

"Listen kid, if your there pick up. This is the Chief. We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl." 

"Why is Nancy with the Chief?" I asked.

"And how does he know about El?" Dustin followed my question with another question, looking at Eleven.

"We can protect you, we can help you, but you got to pick up. Are you there? Do you copy? Over." Hopper's voice continued in his habitual aggravated tone. We all looked at each other, figuring out our move. 

"Yes, I copy." Mike said back. If Nancy was there and the Chief was there, they had to be on our side. He seemed to believe Jonathan and I about the monster, so we decided to believe him.

"It's Mike, I'm here. We're all here." 

"Who exactly is we? Copy." Hopper asked.

"It's me, Dustin, Lucas, Eleven, Jonathan, and Julia. Copy." Mike replied.