Chapter 21: The Same Side

The school day was uneventful and dull, but the smile on my face was consistent throughout each and every class period. Even during math, which I have never been happy in. Don't get me wrong, I didn't learn a damn thing, but I was happy. I remembered my dad's card was in my pocket and I decided to read it in English before the bell would ring and I'd be reunited with Jonathan.

   On the front of the card was a cartoon of a little girl making a pie. She looked like a doll with big eyes, a bow in her hair, and a dress. It said "Happy Birthday to a Fine, Young Lady" on a banner. I thought it was cute, although maybe suited better for a girl younger than me. I opened up the card to see a hand written message from my father saying:

Dear Julia,

 Times have been tough, but you are as tough as nails. Even though we don't spend much time together anymore, I do everything I do for you because I love you. I never take you for granted. You have blossomed into someone your mother would be very proud of. Happy Birthday. 

Dad

   I held the card against my chest and smiled more then before. Maybe I'm just always emotional, but I felt like crying again. Reading those words, beat out all of the bullshit my dad spewed to me when he was drunk. We all break sometimes. I've definitely done it before. I don't know what I would do without my dad. I do love him.

   The bell rang shortly after, so I grabbed my books and walked out the door. I got to my locker and hurried, packing my bag. I walked outside and saw Jonathan standing by his car. 

"Hey." I greeted Jonathan with a hug and kiss on the cheek. 

"Hey birthday girl." 

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes. 

"Are we meeting Mike here or should we go to the middle school?" He asked.

"The middle school isn't far away, so we could drive there. They should be out by now." I answered as we both got into the car. Jonathan started the engine and we pulled out of Hawkins High. The middle school was about ten minutes away from the high school. 

"So what should I be expecting on my mixtape?" I asked Jonathan.

"Good stuff. I think you'll like it a lot." 

"Can't wait." I confessed. 

   I was sitting with my head resting on my right hand by the window, enjoying the fresh air and the small town I called home. My other hand was in my lap, when I felt the touch of Jonathan's hand embrace mine. Our fingers locked together, as if we were one being, one force to be reckoned with. Us against the world. 

  Moments later, we pulled into Hawkins Middle School where we saw Mike and Dustin on their bikes

  Moments later, we pulled into Hawkins Middle School where we saw Mike and Dustin on their bikes. Jonathan pulled his car up to where they were standing and rolled down his window, so we could hear their plan.