Chapter 31: Halloween

"Stop! Stop!" Was all I could hear from the other car. A head full of shimmering red hair turned towards us. The girl screaming at Billy looked frightened.

"Just keep it slow." I told Jonathan. "He'll pass us eventually."

    The car jerked to the left, accelerating at what seemed like full speed. He finally passed us and I could take a deep breath again. I could hear Billy's victory screams from what seemed like miles.

"You know him?" I turned around in my seat facing Will.

"That's Max."

"No I thought his name was Billy? He's in our grade."

"No not him. Her name is Maxine, Max, or Mad Max."

"Mad Max?" Jonathan asked.

"Never mind." Will shuffled uncomfortably in his seat.

"What's their deal?" I wondered out loud.

"I don't know." Will said and was quiet until Jonathan parked in my driveway.

"I'll see you tomorrow Jonathan. See you Ghostbuster." I waved as Jonathan and Will left.

"Bye Julia!" Will yelled out the window.

~

   Halloween finally hit Hawkins. I could feel it in the air as I woke up from my short slumber. I knew that at this moment all of the boys and girls in Hawkins were counting down the hours until trick or treating and party time. Today I felt like actually putting a little something together so I rummaged and tore apart my dresser, throwing things onto my bed until deciding on a plaid skirt, turtle neck, and tights with my Mary Janes.

"Oh Julia you look so lovely when you put the time in." I could hear my parents now in the back of my head.

  I went downstairs to a note from dad that read:

BOO! Happy Halloween.

   Attached to a bowl of candy, my father had some sort of heart remembering Halloween this year although I wouldn't be seeing him. Lord knows, he'll be getting drunk somewhere in Hawkins this year.

   I grabbed my backpack, put out the bowl of candy, and headed toward the bus stop. As I was walking, the crisp cold air hit my face. I wished I grabbed a scarf, but I also liked the fresh air. I pulled out my Walkman from my backpack when Mike Wheeler stopped his bike right in front of my path.

"Venkman! Is that you Ghostbuster?" I couldn't shield my big smile.

"Hey Julia! Happy Halloween! I heard your coming trick or treating with us and Jonathan. Ooooh." Mike teased. "Or are you both gonna go off somewhere alone in the dark?" He winked and nudged my arm.

"Shut up Mike. We'll only be there to keep an eye on you rascals."

"Mike! Let's go! We have to meet up with Will and Lucas!" Dustin peddled over to us.

"Hey Julia. You look nice today. Happy Halloween. Let's go Mike!"

"Hey thanks Dustin. Love the proton packs."

"Well they don't function, but I got this handy-dandy little trap here that opens and closes. See? Look! Look! Viola!" Seeing Dustin all excited made me feel all warm and happy inside.

"That's cool Dustin. The ladies will love that." I giggled.

"And my new teeth too." Dustin purred like a cat, rolling his r's.