Chapter 10: Up Close

Jonathan and I were sitting in his car on the way to his house. I was observing the palms of my hands. They were mildly stinging and felt white hot. I wasn't bleeding, but the scraping from the pavement was a little painful.

"Don't worry, I have some bandages at my house."  Jonathan noticed me evaluating my hands.

"Thanks. They aren't too bad." I wanted to be strong.

"I can't believe Carol pushed you like that." He shook his head in disbelief as we pulled into his driveway.

"It's alright." I tried to be calm about the situation. "I'm just sorry about your camera and the pictures."

"We need to tape up the ones of Barbara." He parked the car and I agreed with him. We needed to preserve the only hard copy of proof we had of the monster that could've taken Will and Barb.

    We walked into Jonathan's house. Mrs. Byers wasn't home at the moment, but all of the lights and letters on the wall were still intact from the last time I had been inside. I followed Jonathan to his room, where we regrouped the equipment we had the last time we went in search of an explanation for Will's disappearance.

   I grabbed the gun from Jonathan as he took the baseball bat from the corner of his room. We had everything that we had last time, minus Jonathan's camera.

"I have an idea." Jonathan said as his eyes scanned the baseball bat.

   We walked to Jonathan's living room, where there was a storage closet. He grabbed a hammer and nails. I had no idea what he was planning on doing, but he started to hammer a nail into the baseball bat. I watched as the nail went through the bat on one side and through the other. He lifted up the bat to show me the new spike.

"Clever." I complimented his inventiveness.

    As Jonathan did this a few more times, I walked back into his room to grab our bags to bring to the living room. 

"Okay, I'm all set." He stood up and presented the new and improved weapon of his choice. I smiled and jokingly bowed in front of him.

"Now before we go, let's bandage up those hands." I sat on his couch as he went off to grab a first aid kit.

   I couldn't help but stare at the the black painted letters that were right behind me. I could feel the desperation from Mrs. Byers that she must've felt as she painted them. Although, I am not a mother and cannot fully fathom how she feels, I understood her pain and wished for her and Jonathan's sake that this could all be over.

"I'm back." He said as he sat next to me on the couch. I positioned myself to face him, and watched him take out a roll of white fluffy gauze and some sort of rubbing alcohol.

"I'm sorry if this hurts." He said as he dipped some of the gauze into the rubbing alcohol and placed it on my left palm. I bit my lip and sighed, trying not to be a crybaby. Jonathan wrapped my left hand and tapped it, also wrapping my right, again apologizing for the sting of the alcohol.

   As Jonathan tapped the right gauze into place, I had my hand open in front of him. His fingers, traced and lingered my palm and our fingers touched, gradually gripping the other's.