11

Kris POV

Our semester break started a few days ago. Xander asked me to go home with him for Easter and initially I agreed until I realized Easter was earlier this year and it fell on the 27th of March, which is a day that literally does not belong to me so I had to cancel.

Right now I am wearing simple Black tights, Uggs and a huge grey hoodie. I think I have everything I need so I head out of the house, making sure to activate the security alarm, considering Sylvia isn't going to be around for about a week or so. This is her second favourite holiday and she usually takes a few days off.

As I head to my car I see a car pulling up to my gate and I recognize it as Nicks. I open the gate for him, wondering what he could possibly want from me. I lean on my car, the one Xander bought for me, and wait for him to get out of his.

"What's up?" He asks me as he heads over to me. He rubs his hands together, trying to get rid of the cold that has already started to envelope us.

"Hey, didn't expect you to be coming over," I tell him. He stands beside me and raises a questioning eyebrow at me.

"Going somewhere?" he asks gesturing to the bags at the back of my car.

"Yeah, kind of," I tell him vaguely.

"So you ditched Alex for a vacation? He was really excited you know. His whole family was. This was huge for him," he says accusingly. "I actually came to check up on you because he told me you told him you were sick, why did you wait till he was at the airport to tell him you were not going with him? You don't look sick to me." He continued.

"I didn't tell him earlier because I was trying to avoid this, I say gesturing between us. "I didn't want to have to make him stay over here instead of being with his family."

"Where is it that you are going that has you lying and being so secretive? Are you cheating on him?"

"I just have somewhere I really need to be Nick. I am not cheating on him, but thank you for the vote of confidence." I turn around so I can get into my car. This day already has me so depressed and I don't want to fight with Nick. I don't want to fight with anyone, I just want to live through it and do the best I can.

"I'm going to leave now Nick and I suggest you do the same," I tell him as I open my car.

"At least tell me where you are going," he asks in a softer voice.

I stop before I enter my car and look at him. I don't want to tell him but something tells me he won't let me go until he knows. "I am going to an orphanage," I tell him resignedly. "I'm a bit late so I really have to get going."

He looks confused but I don't have time to explain so I get into my car. Instead of going over to his he walks over to the passenger side of mine and jumps in. "I am coming with you."

I don't protest. I don't know why he is coming, maybe to assure himself I am telling the truth but I don't ask. I let him come.

An hour later, after a silent almost awkward ride we arrive at the Chris Wayward Orphanage. There are some ladies already waiting for me and as soon as I get out of the car some kids run my way. I see Nick greeting the ladies but I am so engrossed in hugging the little children I don't get to introduce them.

"Hie Kris," the eldest lady says as she gives me a huge bear hug.

"Hello," I say smiling into her hug.

"You look well," she pulls me back so she can take a good look at me.

"So do you," I laugh.

"He's a fine young man," she says throwing an eye at Nick who is talking to a little girl I recognize as Nina.