21

Kris's POV

"Since you both agreed not to meet up first before this meeting and it was a fairly mutual agreement the will is not binding on this condition. However as per your grandfather's instructions to me and in a letter to Dave, Dave has something to say before the shares are signed over to the both of you and since Ruby and your maternal grandmother are here, we can proceed," Dr Kudo my grandfather's lawyer says. I am sitting next to my grandmother and she has my left hand in both her hands. I haven't seen her in a while, she looks so much like my mother so it's not easy but I do admit, it is really nice to have her here with me today.

After I told Alex about Dave he had been angry and then sorry for me. He told me he was sorry for pushing me as much as he had but in all honesty I am glad he did, it felt good to tell someone how I really felt. Of course then came the question of why I hadn't reported him to the police. First of all I was fifteen and so much was going on in my family so when my mom did not seem to care when I told her I thought no one else would and by the time I told my grandfather I really no longer wanted to report him, I wanted to leave this place and reporting him would have prevented me from doing that as quickly as I did. Secondly, Dave made it clear that if I ever told anyone he would say It had been consensual and since i had no proof it would just be my word against his so I had lost all interest in reporting him, I still won't because as much as he deserves to rot in jail, with the influence Ruby and my father have in this place, no one will believe me, only maybe if my grandfather was still here.

Dave stands up, him and his mom are sitting opposite us at the table. He clears his throat and I roll my eyes wondering what he could possibly have to say, what grandpa could possibly have wanted him to say.

"Three years ago I had sex with Kris without her consent," he says and I feel as though my eyes are going to pop put. Did he really just say that?
"In my defense I thought it was consensual but I was drunk and it is possible it was against her will. For that I apologize," he finishes and then sits down. I am shocked he actually admitted that, shocked to the point I don't see my grandmother standing up and walking over to where Dave is sitting, I only come back to life when I hear the harsh clapping sound going through the room.  Another clap resounds and this type it's coming from Ruby and I am surprised she is reacting in this way.

"How could you?" She asks her son in disgust. "And you are sitting here, admitting this so smugly, after her grandfather's money like you deserve it, how could you?" She asks him angrily. Before he can say anything the door to Dr. Kudos door opens and two policeman walk in.

"I believe that was a confession from you Dave Hunts," one of them says.

"You are under arrest for the rape of Miss Kris Wayward three years ago." The other one says as he puts Dave's hands behind his back.

"You set me up you bitch!" He spits at me. I just look at him and watch him leave. I cannot believe my grandfather set this all up, I cannot believe that he loved me this much and he didn't betray me at all. My grandmother comes to my side and gives me a hug and I bury myself in her warm embrace, so relieved that I am finally free of the weight of carrying all that pain around.

"I'm so sorry Kris, I didn't know," I hear Ruby saying from behind me. I nod still in my grandmother's embrace and I hear her sobbing and rushing out of the door. I am just grateful I never have to see any of them again.

After a few minutes I hear Dr. Kudo clearing his throat.

"Would you like to continue with the signing over of shares?" He asks me and I nod.

"What is going to happen to Dave's shares?" I ask him when I am done.

"I believe your grandfather explained that in this letter he left you," he says handing me a white envelope addressed to me in my grandfather's neat cursive.

"Thank you," I say to him, "thank you for everything," I say as he shaking his hand.

"It is my pleasure. He was very proud of you, you should know that," he tells me with a smile. I nod as tears threaten to flow and I take my grandmothers hand as we walk out of Dr. Kudos office.

When we get to the parking area, Alex is waiting for us outside his rented car.

"How did it go?" He asks me as he gives me a hug.

"Very well," I tell him. He gives my grandmother a hug and opens the door for us.

"I can't believe you went through all this," she says to me when we are seated, "you really are stronger than your mother," she remarks as she wipes away the tears that are flowing down her cheeks. I feel bad for not being in contact with her since mom died but can you blame me? I know now things are going to be better between us.