Chapter Sixteen // Awkward Arguments

- Amber's POV -

Lunch time finally came around which was when Elijah was going to come and see me, he couldn't get out of class when I really needed him but that was okay. I felt bad that I couldn't talk to Effie about what was bothering me, I was afraid she would judge me. Effie doesn't tell me anything about her own problems and feelings though so I shouldn't feel guilty.

Me and Effie waited in the boarding school playground surrounded by all of the other girls until Effie spotted a red striped shirt approaching the gate of the playground. We headed over to Elijah and he hugged me tightly, he thanked Effie for taking care of me until he could get here.

"Text me when you get back" Effie said to me before walking off into the playground again, Elijah took my hand and we headed out of the school. I was surprised that the teachers on playground duty didn't see us leaving, we would been told off if they did.

We headed to the lane, Elijah's favourite place to go when he needed space. It was like our replacement for the hideout we made in forest back home, I wonder if it's been destroyed yet..

- Jade's POV -

I hurried out into the playground while searching every face in the crowds for Amber, I really needed to see her and ask why she was so upset in registration this morning.

I spotted Elizabeth chatting to Carrie-Anne so I ran over to her while getting hundreds of evil glares from the girls I pushed passed.

"Where's Amber?" I asked Elizabeth while tapping her on the shoulder, she looked at me weirdly before beginning to respond until she was rudely interrupted.

"Sorry babe but your lesbian crush has just left with her boyfriend" Ashley said behind Elizabeth, she was loudly chewing gum and smiling at me.

"She's a troll anyway" Ashley muttered as she looked away, Priya began to laugh.

"Don't call her a troll alright?! Do you want to be hit again?" I threatened Ashley while tightening my fists, Ashley rolled her eyes at me.

"Why are you still here? Shouldn't you be suspended for attacking me?"

"Jade, why do you want to see Amber?" Elizabeth whispered to me, I looked at her and sighed.

"I just need to say sorry" I said lowering my head, Elizabeth looked confused. She finally gave in and told me where Amber had went.

"Thank you" I muttered before sprinting across the playground and leaving through the gate.

- Amber's POV -

Me and Elijah walked down the lane slowly, we were silent for a while because I felt awkward over the reason I got so worked up in school. Elijah tapped my shoulder slightly and flashed a goofy grin which made me laugh, he can instantly make me feel at ease.

"Rant to me buttercup!" He shouted, we linked arms and I sighed.

"I saw Jade in the corridor, she was kissing a girl I'd never seen before and it just made me so angry and..sad" I explained in confusion, Elijah stared at me weirdly.

"Didn't you tell me that you had no feelings for Jade?" He asked, I nodded quickly.

"I don't like Jade! I was being truthful, I'm just really confused about this whole situation" I told him sadly, he nodded as if he understood but he clearly didn't. I'm the most complicated person ever, it really isn't good.

"Okay well firstly, your feelings are valid whatever they may be and secondly, you deserve somebody who makes you really happy. Please remember that" Elijah said before hugging me, I nodded and smiled as we hugged in the middle of the empty lane.

Suddenly Jade appeared, she was running down the lane and saw me and Elijah hugging. I let go of him and stared at her in shock as to why she was here, Elijah smiled widely. When Jade approached us she stopped running and gasped for air, it looked like she had ran all the way here from school.

"I'll give you two a moment to talk.." Elijah said with a grin, I stared at him as if I was crying for help but he ignored before walking off slowly. He looked back at us every few steps he took to encourage me to tell Jade what was going on in my head, I sighed loudly and stared at her.

"Amber, why were you crying in class? What happened?" Jade asked me once she had got her breath back, I raised my eyebrows at her question before laughing slightly. Is she serious? I was convinced she knew the reason but she just wanted to hear it come out of my mouth.

"Are you kidding me? Did you want me to jump with joy when your tongue was down some random bitches throat?!" I snapped loudly at her, she stepped back slightly and stared at me. I probably shouldn't have said anything..

Jade looked like she didn't think what she did was wrong, she kept shrugging her shoulders and looking away from me. I crossed my arms and sighed loudly before she continued the argument.

"So what? Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend? You're the one keeping secrets here" Jade said while pointing down the lane to Elijah in the distance, I laughed loudly at what she thought.

"Elijah is like a brother to me, we have been best friends since we were little" I confirmed with a grin, she is not going to win this fight. Jade pulled her red lighter out of her pocket, I waited for her to take out a cigarette but instead she just fooled around with the flame.

"Would you be bothered by me having a boyfriend? You seem to be at the thought of me and Elijah" I said while raising one eyebrow, she looked up at me from the lighter and smirked.

"If we're asking questions like this then why were you so upset at me making out with that girl this morning?" Jade asked smartly, we both stared at each other awkwardly unsure of how to answer the questions we were asked. This was the weirdest conversation I had ever experienced.

A few minutes passed and we were still awkwardly standing together in silence with no intention of answering each others question, I was patiently waiting for Elijah to return so he could save me from this awful argument. I sighed quietly before looking up at her again.

"Why did you attack Ashley? I know she's a bitch but you didn't need to do that.." I asked, Jade shrugged and looked away from me.

"I got some bad news from back home, I've been upset and angry all day" She confessed while frowning, I pulled her close and hugged her tightly. Jade hugged me back which was unexpected, I thought she would push me off and try to act cool.

While holding her close I saw Elijah heading towards us again, I watched him over Jade's shoulder. He began making heart shapes with his hands and giving me the thumbs up, I rolled my eyes and tried to hold in my laughter.

When Jade heard his footsteps she pulled away from me, she looked like she was close to crying. Elijah joined us and smiled widely at me, he knew the situation had been fixed.

"Lunch is almost over, we should head back to school" He said, I nodded and linked arms with him again just like we did when we were on our way to the lane. Before we left Elijah pulled a packet of cigarettes out of his back pocket and gave Jade one, her face lit up.

"WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE FROM ELIJAH? YOU DON'T SMOKE!" I screamed at him in horror, he laughed loudly at me.

"They aren't mine you idiot! You know I hate smokers.. No offence Jade" Elijah said while biting his lip, Jade didn't care at all. She thanked him and then he explained that one of this friends needed to hide it from their tutor, Elijah is the good one of their friendship group and the teacher would never suspect him.

"Let's go back to school" I said to them both, Elijah nodded and we began to walk back but Jade didn't follow after us. We looked back at her in confusion.

"I have the rest of the day off, I think I'm going to stay here for a while" Jade said before smiling, we said goodbye to her and then headed back.