Chapter Forty Nine // Dress Shopping

- Elijah's POV -

Ashley ran ahead of the group of girls (and me, the only boy) to find the first shop we would try for dresses, me and Amber walked with our arms linked together as the rest of the girls chatted loudly while walking down the street. The shop we entered had a beautiful wedding dress in the window, it sparkled every time the sun peeked out from the clouds in the sky.

Everybody began to run around the shop gasping at the dresses, I stood awkwardly at the entrance with my hands in my pockets. I've never went shopping with girls before, only grocery shopping with my mum. I've never had a girlfriend and Amber isn't the type of friend who would force me to clothes shop with her so this is a new experience for me.

"Elijah! Get over here!" I heard Amber's voice shout from inside the maze of colourful dresses. I made my way through the shop while peeking over the isles before spotting her staring at a red velvet dress. Her eyes were glistening and she had a wide smile that wouldn't go away, I approached her and gave the thumbs up of approval. She lifted it from the rack it was hanging from and held it up, I watched her while grinning slightly at how satisfied she was with this dress.

"Should I try it on?" Amber asked me, I nodded quickly and she squeaked excitedly before taking my hand and dragging me to the changing rooms.

"You want me to come in with you?!" I shouted as she pulled me into the cramped space behind a curtain, she nodded and laughed loudly.

"You have to tell me if it's nice or not, nobody else is allowed to see what I'm wearing to the ball" Amber explained as she pulled off her dungarees quickly, I crossed my arms and tapped my right foot while waiting for her to get dressed.

"Ooo! Elijah and Amber are undressing together!" Somebody shouted from outside of the changing rooms, I groaned and rolled my eyes as the rest of the girls joined in on 'ooo'ing and laughing. Amber didn't seem to mind, she continued to slip into the beautiful red gown with a smile on her face.

"Don't worry, they won't be doing that when it's Halloween Ball night" Amber said without taking her eyes off the mirror, she spun from side to side while keeping her hands on her waist.

"Why? Do you have a date?" I asked in confusion, she glanced at me in the mirror before nodding happily. My face lit up once she confirmed it and I knew it was Jade by the look on her face, Amber is crazy about this girl and I'm not sure why..

"It's official?.. You and?.." I whispered to her, she glanced down at her dress still displaying that cheesy grin.

"Last night, she asked me to be her girlfriend and I said yes!" Amber shouted, completely forgetting that everybody could probably hear us on the other side of the curtain. We jumped around excitedly before hugging, I was happy but also extremely proud of her. Amber has trouble trusting and getting to know people but somehow with Jade it was so simple, I can tell that she cares and wants the relationship to work out.

"Where is she then? Why is she not shopping for an outfit?" I asked Amber, she turned to the mirror again to admire the dress.

"Ashley and Priya are here and she hates them.."

After having a long chat about Jade, I told Amber that she could talk to me about anything to do with their relationship. If they fight, if she needs help with certain things or if Jade treats her wrongly she can always come to me for advice. We hugged again before I complimented how beautiful she looked in the dress and for once Amber agreed.

"I'm going to miss you at the Halloween Ball, I really wish you could come" Amber said with a sigh, she got changed back into her dungarees and I held the dress she would definitely be buying.

"No you won't! I'll be there" I told her with a smile, Amber stared at me in shock before jumping up and down excitedly once again.

"A girl from your school asked me and I said yes, we have been talking for a while so.. Why not right?" I explained as we exited the changing room, Amber nodded in agreement. She went to pay for her dress and I decided to wander around the shop looking at the other dresses on sale. I spotted Elizabeth rushing through a rack of pink dresses with a worried expression on her face, I approached her and she noticed me staring weirdly.

"I can't find a dress! I'm stressing out!" She shouted before pushing her hair away from her face and sighing, I pouted and pulled her away from the dresses.

"You need to take a break from searching, this is only the first shop and we have so many more to look at" I told her calmly, she nodded and thanked me. We stood in silence while the others waited in line to buy their dresses, Elizabeth seemed to be in a better state after a few minutes.

"So, who's your date to the ball?" I asked her to try and make conversation, she stared at me seriously before laughing.

"Nobody, I'm going alone" She replied, I apologised for bringing it up but then she began to laugh more.

"Don't say sorry! I don't mind. I prefer to be alone because then I can chat to friends and enjoy myself without somebody dragging behind me all evening" Elizabeth explained while scoffing, she had a strong point. The girls were finally finished with buying their dresses, they approached me and Elizabeth with excited smiles painted on their faces.

"Effie! I got the prettiest dress ever! It's red and-" Amber was suddenly interrupted by the slam of the door to the shop, all of the girls stared towards it in shock. I glanced across the shop to see Jade standing alone at the entrance, Amber's face lit up with happiness and Jade smiled slightly.

"Who wants to help me find an outfit then?" Jade asked the group shyly.