Chapter Twenty One // Rainbow Road

- Elizabeth's POV -

I walked through the corridors of the boarding house while leaving a trail of water behind me, I was still drenched from jumping in the lake with Priya. Everybody I walked passed were looking me up and down in disgust but I was too busy smiling to give a shit, I kissed Priya!

It came out of no where, the urge to kiss her as she poured her heart out to me in the lake. Before that moment I wasn't even sure if I had proper feelings for her, she is rude to me when she is with her friends after all..

I entered me and Amber's bedroom with a wide smile still on my face, Amber glanced across the room at me before widening her mouth in shock at the state I was in. She set down her journal and approached me before bursting into heaps of laughter, I continued to smile.

"What the hell happened to you?!" She asked while giggling, I took off my shoes and headed over to my wardrobe to change into different clothes. I stripped off and threw on a random dress before turning to Amber and taking a deep breath.

"I have something to tell you Amber.." I said quietly, she looked at me and raised one eyebrow.

"Guess what? I have something to tell you too!" Amber shouted, she sat down on her bed and I sat on mine. Somehow I could feel tension appearing in the room as we stared at each other nervously, Amber decided to confess her secret first.

"I went out with Elijah today as you know, we ran into Jade and she hung out with us. Even though she was being really annoying most of the day I realised that I have feelings for her.." Amber admitted with her head lowered, I smirked and sighed with relief. I thought Amber didn't trust me to tell me things like this, she looked up at me and I realised how terrified she was to tell me that.

"I-I'm sorry if you don't like that I'm confused, If you're homophobic I can move rooms or-"

"Relax Amber! I know you like girls" I said before biting my tongue, she stared at me weirdly. I accidentally read Amber's journal at the start of the week and saw the lesbian type characters she creates, she crossed her arms while waiting for an explanation.

"Fine! I read your journal at the start of the week but I didn't mean to! It was open I couldn't resist.." I told her while sighing loudly, Amber gasped and grabbed her journal which was sitting on her pillow. She was clearly mad at me.

"I'm sorry, I won't do it again" I muttered, she rolled her eyes.

"Go on, tell me your big secret now" Amber said moving the subject of conversation onto me, I grinned widely as soon as I thought of Priya.

"I went for a walk with Priya today and we swam in the lake which is why I was drenched.. But we also kissed" I told her before jumping up with excitement. Amber stared at me in shock, I don't think I'm Amber's favourite person today.

"Why the hell did you kiss her?! She bullies us!" Amber shouted loudly while standing up, I frowned at her.

"She doesn't deserve you Effie. Do you like her?" Amber asked, I nodded quickly before sitting down on my bed again.

"She confessed a lot to me about her breakdown and her past, she's a broken person. She isn't that bully we see at school, it's a cover up" I explained, Amber looked conflicted with the situation.

"What did she confess?"

"I can't tell you that, it was really person things about her family life and past relationships. I have to respect her privacy, you would do the same" I told Amber, she nodded in agreement.

- Amber's POV -

Even after Effie explained how Priya wasn't a complete bitch I was still mad at her. Firstly for looking in my journal and secondly for kissing the school bully, who also bullies her and myself. I felt betrayed when Effie told me she read my journal, my head told me to never tell her anything again like she is an untrustworthy person. But then she talked about Priya and how she has had a troubled past, she knows a lot about Priya now and she is keeping it to herself.

"I always wondered why you and Elijah never hooked up, now I know it's because you are a lesbian" Effie said while laughing to herself, I shook my head quickly and she stared at me.

"I am not a lesbian, I don't know what I am" I told her while folding my arms.

"Me neither, it's complicated and hard to figure out.." Effie said with a frown, I nodded in agreement. I began thinking about the whole spectrum of sexualities and genders, how many there are. A minute later I turned to Effie and asked her something..

"Well who do you prefer? Boys or girls?" I asked her while rubbing my chin, she sat up straight and smiled slightly.

"I don't care about gender at all, I would date anybody if I liked them enough. It doesn't matter what their gender or sexuality is. The way I see it is if I like them then I like them, nothing can change that" She explained proudly, I nodded while listening.

"What about you?"

"I think I like boys and girls evenly, I'd date any. I haven't really been in a serious relationship before though so I guess time will tell" I told Effie in confidence, we smiled at each other when I finished talking. Somehow a weight was lifted off my chest as we spoke more about our confusions, I only ever have Elijah to talk to and he doesn't really understand because he is straight. It felt good to tell somebody who understood what was going on in my head.

Suddenly Effie jumped up from her bed like she had a great idea, oh god. I watched her while laughing, she began pacing around the room looking for a piece of paper and a pen.

"What is your great idea?!" I shouted because I lost my patience waiting for her to tell me, she looked at me with an excited grin. When she found what she was looking for she climbed onto my bed and sat down beside me before beginning to write.

"Why don't we promise to help each other with this confusing subject? Every sexuality we find, we will write them on this page also with the explanation of what it means" Effie said while writing down a few sexualities she already knew of.

"I think that is the greatest idea you have ever thought of" I told her while laughing, Effie nodded and continued to write.

"Alright! Let's do this!" I shouted while holding my hand out to her, we shook hands and laughed while doing so. I knew that I was definitely going to survive through this year of school with clumsy Effie by my side.

"Also we can help each other with our 'girl problems'" Effie said while holding to fingers up when she said 'girl problems'.

"I still don't agree with your crush on Priya.. But if you say she is different underneath then I believe you" I told her, she thanked me and we hugged each other.

"Now it's time to go down rainbow road, hand me the computer!" Effie shouted in a deep voice while pointing across the room to her laptop, I shook my head in embarrassment and went to get it.