Chapter Forty Six // "Because?"

- Amber's POV - 

Me and Jade passed Carrie-Anne, Priya and Ashley sitting quietly in the common room as we headed out of the boarding house to have a peaceful walk together. Jade was in a bad way after being attacked by Ashley, but in a way she did deserve it for trying to expose Priya to the whole school. I still felt bad every time I glanced at her and saw the bruises on her face and the raw cut beside her left eyebrow, as soon as we were out into the cold evening she lit a cigarette and sighed to herself. 

"What an eventful day" Jade muttered while exhaling, she held her head up and closed her eyes until there was no air left in her lungs. I watched her in silence for a moment before she turned to me, expecting a reply. 

"Yeah, it was. How are you feeling?" I asked while pointing to the marks on her face, she shrugged her shoulders and began walking down the pathway. I followed behind her as she hummed an unknown tune, she looked back at me and chuckled to herself. I caught up with her and decided to be truthful about a few things..

"You deserved to be hit though, you shouldn't have done that to Priya" I said confidently, I waited for Jade to attack me with angry words for not taking her side in the situation but she didn't say a word. She glanced at me and rolled her eyes before flicking her used cigarette into the grass.

"Maybe I did deserve it but sadly so did Priya, she's a bitch" Jade told me, I sighed loudly and she laughed. Jade takes everything in life so lightly, I bet if somebody she loved was in danger she would laugh about that too. We continued to walk down the path and out of the grounds of the boarding house, it was 8:30pm and curfew was in half an hour but that didn't stop us. It was Jade's idea to head out somewhere and I was all for it.

"She's somebody who is terrified of being herself, she has a lot of problems that you don't know about" I explained while frowning and staring at the ground, Jade began to laugh again and I hit her angrily on the arm. 

"I have problems too! Those bitches know nothing about me yet they still bully me for my sexuality! It's not fair that being a lesbian is suddenly okay now that Priya has came out. I have been the laughing stock of the school for liking girls since the day I entered this shithole, it's not fair" Jade ranted angrily while throwing her hands in the air, I stared at her in shock but she definitely had a point. I pulled her in for a hug and she seemed surprised, she waited a moment before hugging me back. We stood in silence on the side of the creepy road as close as possible to each other until Jade had enough of hugging and shoved me away. She carried on walking but quicker than before, it was as if she needed to be alone for a moment so I let her.

We headed down the usual pathway which travels beside a river, all I could hear was Jade's footsteps ahead and some cars in the distance. She suddenly stopped walking before glancing back at me, I stared at her weirdly as she grinned and held her hand out to me. I raised my eyebrows at her before walking forward and taking her hand in mine, the vibe had instantly changed from on edge and sad to calm. We walked together in silence, Jade still had a small grin painted on her face. 

"Why did you ask me to come out with you?" I asked her, she stared at me weirdly and then looked forward again.

"Because I like hanging out with you? You're the nicest person in this school?.. The list goes on" Jade said, I felt my cheeks burning up quickly and I was determined to hide it. I let go of her hand and began to fix my scarf so it would hide the redness that somebody could see from a mile away, Jade watched me struggling with a smile on her face before she joined in.

Jade laughed loudly while trying to pull my scarf away from me so I had nowhere to hide, I yelled at her as well as laughing nervously. She had already noticed how red my face was but decided to play along anyway. 

"You're so cute"Jade blurted out as she laughed, I stopped fighting over the scarf with her and let her take it as I was shocked at what Jade said. I stood frozen in one spot while staring straight at her, she was confused as to why I stopped messing around but then she realised and glanced away from me.

- Jade's POV -

I threw Amber's scarf over my shoulder before approaching her slowly and placing both of my cold hands on her blushing cheeks, her eyes were glistening as if she was on the brink of crying but I continued anyway. She smiled slightly as I tried to cool her down, Amber brought her right hand up to her face also but instead placed it over my hand.

"Look, the real reason as to why I brought you out here is because.." I whispered while glancing at the ground, my brain suddenly turned to mush and my mouth stopped working. Amber stared at me, waiting for me to continue with what I was saying but I couldn't. 

"Because?.." Amber said while squinting her eyes slightly, I glanced around at the empty dark pathway in fear before taking a deep breath in and kissing her deeply. Amber pushed me away in shock, we stared at each other in fear before kissing passionately once again. I think she got my message, even without using words. I felt much more calmer after being able to kiss her so I decided to carry on with what I was saying before, we stayed close to each other and she held tightly onto my black hoodie. 

"Because you're the only person here who hasn't doubted me, left me behind or called me crazy. You care for me so much even though I'm insensitive and rude, I just want you to know that I like you a lot and.." I stopped myself from talking once again just so I could look at Amber, she had a wide smile on her face as if she knew what was about to be asked. 

"Will you be my girlfriend Amber?" I asked bravely, Amber gasped before nodding and squealing excitedly. She jumped on me and I fell onto the cold pavement while laughing loudly. 

"Yes! Yes yes yes!" Amber shouted while joining me on the ground, we were shivering and covered in dirt but it was perfect and so was she.