Chapter Forty // A Big Deal

- Ashley's POV - 

It was the evening after my traumatic day at school when I found out that one of my best friends had been hiding their sexuality from me. I felt betrayed and confused as to why she wasn't honest with me, lying to a friend is the worst thing anybody could do. 

I spent the night alone in the common room while searching through the cupboards for a snack, I wasn't in the mood for a huge dinner that usually tasted like crap. The common room was regularly filled up with biscuits for tea and cereal bars for people who were too busy to sit down to eat something in the mornings. I jumped up onto the counter and searched through the highest cupboard where all of the chocolate biscuits were hidden until I was interrupted by a strange voice. 

"Hey, excuse me?" The girl said, I looked back and realised it was a girl who was new to the school. She was standing at the entrance to the tiny kitchen with two huge suitcases sitting behind her. I stared at her for a moment before turning my nose up at her dress sense, she watched me in confusion. She was wearing a plain red hoodie, a pair of black leggings and trainers.. Boring right? 

"Yes?" I said loudly, I sat down on the counter to waste time listening to the newbie. She approached me and left her suitcases sitting on the floor. 

"I'm new here.. I just wanted to ask what is the school like? Is the education good here? What are the people like?" The stranger asked me a bunch of questions at once and I rolled my eyes at her, I had no time to do a pointless questionnaire. 

"Look hun, I'm a big deal around here and I have no time to be answering your annoying questions" I told her bluntly with an evil grin, the girl didn't seem phased by my rudeness which was weird as everybody was always threatened by me. Instead of fighting back the girl turned away, grabbed her bags and headed towards the exit of the common room. I jumped off the counter and watched her go.

"I don't care who you are but you never know.. I could become the big deal around here. I'm Connie by the way" The stranger said as she walked out, she glanced back at me and imitated my evil smile before heading towards the stairs. I began to laugh loudly at how cocky she was, does she have any idea who I am?! I could end her with one sentence. 

As soon as the weird new girl left the common room I began to think about my friends again which put me off eating any type of chocolate biscuit that I would find in the cupboards. I walked slowly over to the empty sofa and threw my body onto it before sighing loudly, should I text Carrie-Anne? Maybe I should ask her if she knows about Priya's sexuality and why she was hiding it from me and possibly Carrie-Anne too.. 

What if Carrie-Anne is gay also?!?!

My head began to spin with paranoia and anger at the thought of both of my good friends lying to me about a huge part of themselves. I thought Priya was tough and a badass, you can't be a badass while kissing a girl! It's just not right! Then I realised that every time me and Priya make fun of Jade, Carrie-Anne never joins in. 

"Wait, she has that imaginary internet boyfriend.. Or maybe he is a cover up" I whispered to myself while staring at the ceiling, the mystery was too much for my brain to handle and I had enough of thinking about it. I grabbed my phone and decided to message Carrie-Anne. 

"Hey babe! What you up to? xx" I messaged Carrie-Anne as my heart began to thump and my mind continued to make up more crazy stories about my best friends. Suddenly my phone vibrated on the coffee table I set it on in front of the sofa, I jumped up to see who had messaged me. 

"I'm studying in my room x" Carrie-Anne replied and I rolled my eyes, does she ever stop caring about school? I stared at my phone screen for a minute or two while thinking of what to reply to her before I had an idea. 

"Come to the common room! It's quiet here and a good place to study. Also I need to speak to you, it's important xx" I replied while sighing loudly, it's time to solve this awkward and disgusting mystery which is Priya's sexuality. I sat patiently on the sofa and occasionally glanced to the door in case Carrie-Anne was entering..

- Carrie-Anne's POV - 

I packed up my school books into a handbag so I could carry them down to the common room, I had only been studying for an hour so if this chat Ashley needs to have with me is a waste of time I will be furious at her. 

I threw the heavy handbag over my shoulder and exited me and Priya's bedroom before locking the door behind me, without looking where I was going I walked forward and bumped straight into somebody.

"I'm so sorry!" The girl shouted as my books fell all over the ground, I stared at her weirdly as I didn't recognise her face. She quickly grabbed my books and set them neatly into my bag again, I thanked her and apologised for walking into her too.

"I've never seen you before, are you new?" I asked the girl, she nodded and smiled widely. She began to tell me about some problems she was having back home and at her old school so she decided to leave and move to somewhere new. 

"This school is great, I'm certain you're going to enjoy it" I told her positively before we introduced our names to each other, we shook hands and laughed about bumping into each other. 

"Also, can you tell me where Elizabeth Malone's room is?" Connie asked me, how does she know Effie? 

"It's at the very bottom of the hallway but she's not here at the minute" I told her while pointing down the corridor, Connie looked surprised when I told her that Effie was out.

"She's out? That's a shock. Where is she?" Connie laughed nervously while speaking, I smiled slightly trying to hide my confusion as to how she knew Effie. 

"Um, she's in town with a friend. I don't know when they will be back though.. Sorry" I said while fiddling with the heavy bag on my shoulder, it seemed to be getting heavier the longer I stood with Connie. She thanked me for telling her where Effie stayed and apologised again for bumping into me.

Connie walked on passed me and made her way to Effie's room even though she wasn't there, I watched her in confusion before turning away and heading to the common room to find Ashley. What a weird conversation that was, she seemed to know Effie pretty well. I wonder what history they have together..