Chapter 22

Knowing what is the highway of hell was not a pleasant experience for Oliver

Knowing what is the highway of hell was not a pleasant experience for Oliver. But it was an experience that he had no choice but go through.

After the humiliating fall and failure from Elli's balcony, the days that came next were pure torture for him. Conquering Elli's heart was like trying to steal the only baby from an insomniac mama bear's den.

Emma and Brandan were busy with their recently joined businesses, their home, kids, kitten and intimate - gross moments. Besides all that though, they found some time for the wedding preparations. Elli seemed like had taken it upon herself to make the wedding perfect while joining hands with the wedding planner. It annoyed Oliver to no end that she kept herself busy with one thing or another most times, and for the rest went on ignoring him like he was the grandfather of plague. However, he didn't dare lose hope.

Oliver tried his luck with Misha first, thinking that it would benefit him somehow if his future brother in-law was on his side. But every time he tried making a friend out of Misha, the man would behave like a robot who didn't know how to move and could only spit scanning laser beams from his eyes. The evening when Misha announced that he was not going to attend the wedding in Hawaii and stay back on Boston in stead, for he had some important work over here - was the last time Oliver saw him. Misha moved out of Brandan's house and to a hotel downtown. Oliver made a mental note to dig his secrets later. Because if the guy wouldn't become his friend in need no matter how much he tried, then he would have to settle with using his secrets at last. Anything for love.

Steeling his guts in determination, Oliver followed Elli everywhere - from the flower shop to the wedding dress boutique, from the bakery to the caterer, even ladies salon and yoga classes - he chased her all day and night. 

He even attempted to raid her balcony again but right when he was pulling out the ladder from the store room, Brandan approached him.

"Going Romeo again?" Brandan asked.

"Yap." Oliver replied sauntering out of the storeroom with the ladder on his shoulder.

"Then there's news for you," Brandan informed with a smirk. "Your reluctant Juliet has covered the railing with electric wires. My gardener was really ecstatic in helping her out with the task."

That made Oliver stop dead on his track. 

His woman was lethal!

Sighing he then turned back around and went to put the ladder in it's place. He heard Brandan strolling after him casually. 

"Why don't you read those chick flick books Emma suggested you the other day. You don't know you might come up with a sharp idea if you do so."

Oliver just snorted and dismissing Brandan and his shitty grin, stomped off to wallow in self pity. The romantic route to Elli's balcony was blocked now.