Day Eight [Edited]

I was beginning to think that Payton had lied, it is well past dinner time and nobody has shown up. I told mom and dad about the shifters I had found. They are excited to know that what they were trying to create isn’t impossible. They exist in secret. I told dad about where I had found them and he said maybe there was a house between our house and the south dock. If wolves were living in it then they wouldn’t need a driveway so it would be harder to find. The idea excited me.

I haven’t told my dad yet but when I think of Payton I get butterflies. I hadn’t understood what they meant by ‘my wolf’ until I had gotten thinking and it drifted to thoughts of Payton, where does she live? What does she do for fun? Does she have a lot of friends? I wonder if she has a boyfriend. At that thought I heard a growl inside my head. It wasn’t like a thought; it was more like I shared my body with something else. I wonder if that is my wolf.

Brooklyn POV

Alpha Michaels showed up later that night explaining they had a problem that could not wait. Apparently some rogues had penetrated the pack house. There were no casualties. The pack stood up as a group and chased the rogue off. They think he was after their Luna.

“What is a Luna?”

“It’s the pack hierarchy. Alpha and Luna are like king and queen basically. We rule the pack together. There is also a Beta which is the Alpha’s assistant. Mine happens to be Beta Alexander, the father of the three you ran into. That’s how they knew we were looking for the key. The key goes to the second pack house. It’s underground. We used to use it for the expecting females so we could protect them better. When Alpha Nairo died he took the key was lost.”

“Nairo?”

“Yes that was his last name. His first was Jonah. Jonah Nairo was in my position when he died. He had seen his death coming and made sure I was set to become Alpha after him.”

“Did he ever say anything about his family?”

“He didn’t have a wolf family but he had a human family. A daughter and a wife. Brooklyn and Sabrina I thought.”

“That was my father. I am Brooklyn Nairo.” Alpha Michaels looked shocked for a moment. He then walked up to hug me.

“I didn’t recognize you; I haven’t seen you since you were a baby! You still look like your mother as much as ever. Beautiful people they were. Your father did so much for the community. His death was tragic, as was your mother’s.” It was true. Both of my parents were killed in a shootout. Both of my parents were teachers at the same school. One day a kid showed up with a gun. They tried to distract him or stop him but they stood no chance. Both of my parents died that day but thanks to them not one child died. They were the only two deaths. When the police called I was only eighteen then. I had been staying in a dorm for the past year at the local college.

When they died they left the house to me and I moved home to take care of it. That day I started writing. I have an associate’s degree in genetic engineering but I threw it all away to write about life and the small tragedies that come with it, the good and the bad of life. With six books written all of them were dedicated to my parents. They had made such a positive impact on my life. It hurts that they had to leave me so young but I know that they did what they were put on earth to do; keep the peace.

“As for the key, I can help coach Aiden to shift if he would give me the key in return.”

“You can have the key anyways. I know that shifting is hard to do and best learned alone. However my dad is working on a project to create shifters, maybe you could donate some blood to his research? Then he has something to compare to.”