Day Eleven [Edited]

It felt like instinct that I found the old house so quick. It has a home feeling to it even though I had never been there before today. I told Ash he was free to stay in the house or the cave. There was a chest full of blankets and we easily found enough to supply every hammock with one. We each got one to claim a bed and then I decided to go exploring.

“You know when you become a Delta you might decide you don't want to be Alpha. I was supposed to train to be Alpha but being a warrior had a particular pull to it and that ended up being my final choice. It’s a lot of stress to be Alpha. You have to keep track of everyone in your pack as well as the other packs as a whole. It's a hard thing to do.”

“I don't want to be Alpha. I don't know what I want but I don't want to take over a pack. I havent been there all of my life like most people have. I don't have that connection.”

“When you start Delta training you will get to try everything so maybe you will find something you like.”

“Maybe but I need to shift first. I’m going to go practice. Feel free to explore or whatever interests you.” Ash didn't go far, just into the woods across the river, to hunt. He said he would get us food for tonight so we didn't get into the non perishable stuff already saved.

Sitting on the edge of the water I tried to focus on strengthening my senses. I already have wolf ears so first I worked on hearing. I sat silently and strained to hear the sound of Ash hunting. At first I got nothing but then I could hear the lightness of four paws on the ground. Having caught his sound I began trying to smell him.

The smell of a Ash was a weird scent. I thought it would be a wet dog smell but it wasn't. He smelled of nature. There was the smell of the many exotic flowers growing in these woods. the smell of the air before rain was also prominent. I have found that most people in the Emerald Moon Pack have that same scent. I think they all have the scent of their pack. That’s how they thought I was a Rogue.

I opened my eyes to try and strengthen my eyes and noticed that my nose had changed into that of a wolf. Slowly but surely I am shifting. I strained my eyes trying to see the fish in the river. I was starting to see the outlines when Ash who had come back from hunting told me that my eyes had turned blue. I normally have black eyes.

“Only hybrids have blue eyes. That means you are a wolf because of the serum not because Ms. Nairo’s wolf genes were not dormant while she was pregnant with you.”

“So If I had a different color eyes I would be a natural wolf?” Ash nodded. I tried to focus on what my eyes would look like the hazel color of a timber wolfs eyes. Ash gasped when I opened my eyes and looked at him.

“You're not a werewolf, you're a general shifter, you just changed your eye color.” Grinning in triumph I began trying to shift my body. I was only able to get a little bit of the timberwolf brown to show on my hands and arms before I snapped back to my half human self and was overcome with exhaustion.

“Why don't we go eat and relax and you can try again when you have your strength back? It takes a lot of energy to force a shift. You should be okay after food and a nap.” Nodding I went to take a nap while he cooked the rabbits he had hunted earlier.

In my dream I had shifted into a huge Timberwolf. My eyes showed a bright blue like that of a hybrid. My fur felt warm and held heat in well. My wolf was suddenly under distress as I was attacked by another wolf black in color. I woke up in a cold sweat to see that my arms were covered in hair. Ash explained that in moments of true fear the wolf takes over and will sometimes shift alone. With new excitement I ate a little bit of the rabbit and headed outside to try again to shift. This time I went to the same spot and once again worked on sight smell and hearing. It seemed that was as far as I could get. The more I tried the easier it got. It was getting dark out and I was trying one last time to shift.