Day Nine'[Edited]

“So, Payton, I found a bunch of keys a while back, thats how I found they key Alpha michael wanted, and I’m about to start looking for where the second key goes. I was wondering if you wanted to help me find it.”

“How do you find where the keys go? They have notes on them. The second one says Burning Flames. The note on the back says, “I remember the first day we moved into this house. I was about ten and it was the dead of winter. We had a fire burning in the fireplace and I had asked if I could roast marshmallows. Mom always let me get away with stuff and even though dad told me no she allowed me to do it anyways.

I leaned in to check my marshmallow and accidentally burnt my hands on the heated coals that had fallen out of the fireplace. I had to go to the hospital but they said it wasn't too bad and just prescribed some burn ointment. Since then I had a love of fire. I should have been afraid but I wasn't. My accident only strengthened me. If you find that something can't hurt you as bad as you think you lose some of the fear that may have stopped you before.”

“So do you guys have a fireplace?”

“Not that I know of. Let’s go ask my mom.” Carrying baby Grayson we went in search of my mom.

“Hey mom did you guys ever have a fireplace here?”

“No not here but the old in law suite did.”

“Where is that at?”

She seemed to have to think about it a while, “Well I guess it would be northeast of here. Quite a ways out. It wasn't a part of this house it was a second property my dads family bought when they moved here. If you guys are going there you can take the quad. There isn't much of a trail though.”

“Thanks mom.” We walked back into the living room. Ash pulled Payton aside to tell her something. “Aiden we have to go back to the packhouse because it’s getting late. If you come get me tomorrow I can help you find it. My dad wont let me cross the woods alone because rogues have been close. If you come to the house I’m sure just you and I can go since the four of us won't fit on one quad.”

“Sounds like a plan. What time do you want me to be there?”

“Around ten am? I have to be home by noon so I can go on patrol with Makayla.”

“I thought you were a healer?”

“I’m training to be one but you have to do some of the general jobs under it before you can be one. I haven't went on patrol yet. My father isn't big on Makayla going by herself so he paired me with her. The rogues have him nervous remember?” I nodded remembering he wont let her go anywhere alone because of them.

“What is a rogue?”

“A rogue is a wolf that does not belong to a pack. You’re technically a rogue. We don't worry too much about you though. Everyone knows we’re waiting for your first shift so you can join the pack.”

“Everyone?”

“Yeah, didn't you wonder why Chase didn't attack you while he was patrolling?”

“Why would he attack me?”

“Any rogues are immediately taken into custody. They don't just tell them to leave. If you cross pack lines you have to answer to the Alpha before you can leave. He knew you were safe because of who you are but he still took you to Alpha Michael to follow protocol.”

“How do you remember protocol and ranks?”

“You learn as you go. Alpha Michael will assign you a teacher once you join the pack and become a delta.” I went to ask what a delta was and she just laughed and told me to relax and that she would see me tomorrow morning. I walked them to the door where they shifted and took off into the night. I wish I could shift. Payton brought me a letter from Alpha Michael explaining again how to shift. I understand it I just can't get it to work.

Heading upstairs I decided to turn in for the night. Alpha Michael told me that sometimes you can shift if you find a place you feel a deep connection to. Maybe I will find it and be able to shift. I don't want to wait until next year to shift. I want to now. Mom has been talking about school and I don't want to go looking like this. I wanna pretend I’m normal so I can make friends. The thoughts began to drift away as sleep took over and before I knew it I was on a quad heading to the pack house.

It was easy finding the treehouse now and just like last time I was met by a scout. I’m pretty sure that Payton said his name was Chase. He didn't shift into human form he just nodded and took off. I didn't know how fast wolves could be and I was glad I wasn't trying to keep up with him running. After leading me to the pack house he shifted and explained I could go right to Payton in the kitchen because Alpha Michael already knew I was going to be there and okayed it in advance.

Payton was in the kitchen making something that smelled nice. She was with two other girls and they were giggling at something. When I walked up they quieted down slightly, “Hey Aiden these are my friends Makayla and Serenity. We were just about to have breakfast want to join? I made scrambled eggs.” It smelled nice and so I agreed to breakfast. While I was sitting there I was able to get a good look at the two girls. I wanted to memorize them so I knew somebodys name after the ceremony and I became a part of the pack. Makayla just screamed country girl. She was wearing a purple button down shirt and blue jeans.