Chapter One:

Regine Iman Thomas

I sat in dance class with my legs criss crossed waiting for my group to perform the choreography that was taught.

We had a workshop today and the choreographer was some guy from New Orleans that I had never heard of.

If he wasnt anyone like Ian Eastwood, Willdabeast, Adé Willis, Kaelynn Harris, or Janelle Ginestra. I had no interest in him. He could dance though, that was for sure.

He had taught choreography to Untitled 02 by Kendrick Lamar. The first group finished and he motioned to me and three other girls. We took our spots on the floor. I always took the front because you never got noticed in the back.

I was trying to get noticed.

The music started and I jumped around a bit waiting for the right part to begin and trying to find my rhythm.

Once it started, I closed my eyes and let go. Dance was how I did it. There was nothing I loved more than coming here and not feeling like I had to worry about anything.

Dance was just a hobby that I did to express myself, free my mind, and get rid of idle time.

Most would assume I was in college at 19 years old but when I realized I wasnt happy enrolled, I dropped out. I only finished two semesters before realizing it wasnt for me.

Photography and graphic design were both where I was making my money to support myself. I also had a weekend job at a print shop. My parents were on the other side of the country in Texas so asking them for help wasn't in the question. They were struggling to get by themselves.

I designed clothes and did photoshoots for small brands and made logos and things for other businesses. I also made those random party flyers you would see in the hood when I needed fast money.

Most people in my hood wouldn't know a good design anyway. They just wanted to promote the party.

My group finished up the choreography and earned a round of applause from the other dancers. I smiled, happy with how I did.

"Good Job!" the random choreographer yelled with excitement on his face while clapping.

I gave my dance friend Denzel a high five and he was called next to dance.

His group and a few others went before we were dismissed to go home.

I went to grab my things and headed out the door. I was making my way to the bus stop since I didn't have a car yet. I heard a familiar voice call me and turned around seeing Denzel running towards me, "Why you bussin' it Regine?"

I shrugged,"I have no choice Denzie."

He sucked his teeth,"Yo know damn good and well I'll take you home Reggie. Come get in the car."

I sighed and went to join him in his 2005 Honda Civic.

"Thank you" I mumbled as he started in the direction of my house.

"No problem lil' sis. Next time I see you walking towards the bus stop when my car is fine and dandy, I will not hesitate to slap you."

I chuckled. "You know I don-"

"Like me riding out my gas. Blah blah blah" he finished my sentence. I laughed as he pulled up to my apartments.

I lived in a normal apartment complex in a one bedroom, one bathroom. It was big enough and affordable for me and the landlord took care of any problems which was all I cared about.

"See you tomorrow! You still coming right?" Denzel yelled out the window. He was talking about us, his girlfriend, and someone else he knew all going to Art Basel.

I really loved art and he knew so he bought us tickets to go. That was one thing I was excited about.

"Yeah!" I yelled back and he nodded and waved before driving off. I made it inside my apartment before flopping down on the couch and sighing.

I was tired.

I picked up my tv remote and turned to family feud. I was a weirdo and watched things like this all day.

I went into my bathroom to shower so I could change out of these sweaty clothes.

After my shower I threw on some pajama shorts and a tank top. I grabbed some chips and water from the kitchen before going back to my spot on the couch.

My favorite thing in the world to do. Although sometimes I wished I had friends to hang out with.

I was pretty much a loner besides when I hung out with Denzel and his girlfriend, but they were a couple plus they were four years older than me so it was kind of weird sometimes.

He had told me that his friend that was coming tomorrow was closer to my age.

Maybe we would end up being friends.