Chapter Twenty-Two:

Regine Iman Thomas

Sleep had managed overcome my body after Joey and I spent hours talking about random things that were on our minds. But after a short while of slumber, I was awakened by movement.

It was Joey. He was most definitely having a nightmare. He was tossing and turning and mumbling. I watched him, too afraid to actually touch him or anything. It would probably startle him even more.

After a while, he shot up and put his head in his hands. I sat up as well.

"Joey ... You okay?" I asked him. I heard him sniffle...was he crying? Another sniffle came from him but before I could question it, he hopped up and quickly walked to the bathroom.

I stared at the television while waiting for him to come out. I wanted him to talk to me. He needed someone to talk to about the dreams that are always bothering him.

When he came out, he laid back down on his stomach with his arms under his head. His face was turned away from me. I knew he did it on purpose. He probably didnt want to be bothered.

I climbed on top of him sat on his butt. I started to rub his back hoping it would help soothe him. I honestly hated seeing him like this. It hadnt happened in a while so I was wondering what triggered it.

My hands roamed his back and crossed over the scar he had. I still wondered where he had gotten it. I ran my finger across it gently just because.

"I got it the day they died" Joey muttered lowly. I

was shocked that he was telling me something.

"What happened?" I asked curiously.

It was silent for a while as I continued gliding my hands across his back. "He stabbed me. I was trynna help my mom. I told my brother to leave the room and I was trynna help her but he stabbed me. I couldnt move. I could barely breathe. I felt numb. I just laid there bleeding out. I literally watched him stab her to death Regine. I seen it. Every second of it. And I couldnt even fucking help" he said painfully. His voice cracked and I could tell he was either tearing up or crying by now.

I couldnt believe he had witnessed that. I wanted to cry with him. No wonder he never wanted to talk about it. No wonder he was having nightmares.

I leaned down so that I was laid on top of him and kissed his temple.

"My brother, was hard headed as fuck and tried to fight the man. He ended up strangling him to death" he paused. "I lost them both in one day and the shit is all my fault. I should have never left them there with that nigga man. I shoulda been there for them. I shoulda died too that day."

"Dont say that. That is in no way your fault. When you get older, its normal to move out and go explore the world on your own. You did something any young adult would. Its not your fault any of that happened. You didnt know how he really was. He obviously was really good at hiding his true self. And don't you ever say you should have died. You are still here for a reason. God makes no mistakes."