Chapter Forty-Nine:

A/N: book is almost over. Im sad.

JoVaughn Virginie Scott

"Do you remember anything?" I heard the doctor ask. I was outside of the room. As soon as Denzel's eyes opened, they landed on me. I panicked. Thank God the doctor only wanted a few people in the room. Of course I was happy he was awake, but I was also still concerned about or previous fall out.

I heard footsteps and looked up to see Ms.Ronda, Nic, and Reggie. "Is he okay? Whats going on?" Nicole asked.

"The doctor is talking to him now. She didnt want alot of people in the room so I came out here" I explained. Ms.Ronda nodded and rushed in. Nicole followed behind her.

Reggie stood in front of me grinning. "Isnt this great?" she said excitedly.

"Yeah its amazing" I chuckled.

Reggie frowned. "Whats wrong?"

I shook my head,"Nothing."

Reggie coughed dramatically and mumbled 'pinky promise'. I sucked my teeth after remembering I promised to tell her when shit was bothering me.

"What if he doesnt even wanna deal with me anymore? Like, yeah he's awake and everything but we still have unresolved issues" I said.

"You've known him basically since birth. Theres no way one unresolved issue is going to tear you guys apart for good. He just had a near death experience. I'm pretty sure the last thing on his mind is how he can hold a grudge with you. Besides, if I remember correctly, he was willing to make up with you. You were the stubborn mule" Reggie said to me. I took in what she said and nodded. She was right.

"You worry too much" she pulled my face down and kissed me. I smirked against her lips.

"You worry too little" I said after she pulled away.

"Theres no such thing."

The door swung open beside us and the doctor walked out. "You all are free to go in if you want. Theres enough room and the family says its okay" she smiled at us and walked away.

"You ready to stop be a lil bitch?" Reggie said to me jokingly.

"You on a level of disrespect that I wont tolerate right now Iman" I responded. She laughed as we made our way into the room. The atmosphere was pretty calm.

Denzel still seemed pretty confused but he was responding to the things his dad was saying to him. I was glad that he was in good enough shape to still talk and everything as usual. Reggie took a seat in a chair by his brother Darryl. I slowly eased over and sat on the arm of the chair she was in.

"Look who finally came back in the room" Darien, Denzel's dad said looking at me. Everyone else's eyes turned to me. I instantly got uncomfortable.

I chuckled uneasy. "Yeah.."

"Why you way over there?" Denzel muttered out. I paused and looked at him.

"What you mean?" I asked confused. I felt Regine pinch my back.

"You way over there. I havent seen you in how long?" Denzel said.

"A long time" I chuckled running a hand down my face.

"You too Reg" he said.

"I wanted to hug you but i'm afraid i'll hurt you" she said to him.

He sucked his teeth. "I'm on hella pain meds and I'm a soldier. I can take pressure."

Regine laughed and went to hug him.

"Can me and Joey have a second? I wanna talk to him" Denzel said. Everybody nodded and left giving us privacy.

Once they were gone I cleared my throat and walked over closer to him. "I'm sorry" I finally managed to say.

"Nah im sorry. I acted like dumbass. I acted like you aint have the right to be upset. That was fucked up on my behalf I apologize" he said.

I nodded. "I apologize for being so stubborn. I know you were put in a tough spot. I kinda took it out on you."

"We good? Still brothers?" He grinned. I did the same as we dapped each other up.

"Still brothers. How you feeling though?"

"Straight. Lil pain here and there but I'm alive. Pissed that pigs shot me but it is what it is" he shrugged lazily.

"Yall can come back now!" I yelled. The door opened and Darius peeked his head in. "What?!"

"I said we done talking. Yall can come back now."

Everybody trailed in one by one and took back their previous spots. They started talking amongst themselves. I went back and sat next to Reggie.

"Are you guys good now?" she asked me. I nodded.

"Most definitely."

And I was glad.