Chapter 19

"Aye! I didn't invite you into my house!" Deadshot raised his voice. His apartment was cluttered with countless books and clothing items. The sink, filled with dirty dishes and rotting food.

"J, I thought you said he'd let us in." I said, leaning into his left side.

"I'm not so worried about you cupcake. J on the other hand, needs to be dead for me to feel safe around him. Course, I can take care of that myself. Right now." Deadshot lifted a gun out of his pocket and aimed toward J. "Out."

J raised his hands in surrender. "Buddy, pal. I'm not looking to pitch a camp here. Lilith on the other hand, would be safer with you." He nudged me forward as if I were a glass statue. I leaned toward him.

"Babe don't leave me." I pleaded.

"It's only for a bit. I need to run some errands and I'd be quite upset if you were killed." J kissed me on the cheek. Deadshot grimaced at our exchange.

"Fine. Lilith can stay. But you, Mr. Joker, gotta go." Floyd pointed to the door with his gun.

"I'll be on my way." J bowed dramatically before exiting. I was alone again with Deadshot.

"Make yourself comfortable. My daughter will be here soon." He set the gun down on the dining room table as I sat down on a small wooden chair. The air smelled of dust and clutter.

"You have a daughter? Do you hate her? Because leaving her with some wreck loose like me..."

"No, I don't hate her. And I'm not leaving her alone with you." Floyd sighed, "And I know you're better than you think. Spending time with The Joker like that, it makes you forget that.

"That's sweet of you to say, but I'm no better than a criminal on the streets. In fact, I'm worse."

"Keep telling yourself that. But I can tell you don't like the crime as much as others think." Floyd left the room to do work and I simply sat at the table in silence.

He's right you know? You're just doing this for J. He'll only accept you as a murderous nutcase like himself.

My first thought was to grab the gun on the table and escape. But I pushed the idea out of my head and cleaned the dishes out of the sink.