Chapter 20

"Who are you?" A girl around middle school age walked into the apartment. Her once white coat was now somewhat off white with dirt. Floyd came rushing into the room in a pair of plaid boxers. Yikes.

"Sweetie, this is Lilith. She's our new house keeper." Floyd was smiling uncomfortably as he hugged his daughter.

"She doesn't look like a house keeper." The girl said frankly.

"Alright Zoe, don't judge a book by its cover. She's more like a nanny. Do you cook?" Floyd asked me hopefully. I could tell from their trash can and freezer, that they'd been eating microwaved dinners far too often.

"Yes, I have the ability to cook food." I said with a forced smile. Of course, I didn't do it ever. So it wouldn't be anything close to a five star meal. Hell, it would be lucky to own the title of a 3 star meal. I knew I couldn't object because... Well because... Actually, I could just leave and find J? But why didn't I want to. There was still a small part of me that wanted to be normal. But then another part said that J was the closet I could get to it. Basically, I couldn't be normal.

"Could you make pasta bolognese?" Zoe asked as she put down her backpack.

"Why the hell would you want pasta and bologna?" I scrunched my nose in disgust.

"Lilith. How come you've never heard of bolognese? It's not bologna." Floyd looked down at me and snickered.

"Shut up." I threw a light punch to the side of his arm.

"I could show you how to make it. You just put ground beef, tomato sauce..." Zoe chimed.

"Yeah, that'd be good. I could also use some help navigating through all the kitchen materials." I asked hopefully. I'd put away most of the dishes and utensils that I'd cleaned but I still couldn't figure out where the glasses and mixing bowls had to go.

Zoe walked over and guided me to the kitchen area. I looked over my shoulder at Floyd who stood to the side with a smirk and a thumbs up.

"Get cookin' Lilith." Floyd mouthed.