Chapter 21

It had been one year since I'd seen him. Since I'd heard his voice. He hadn't even been on the news. The infamous Joker, had completely vanished. And frankly, the phrase really rang true, out of sight, out of mind...For the most part at least. Floyd and Zoe were the kindest people I had met in a long time. I was basically Zoe's mother without the commitment. After all, I could always leave.

"Lilith, are you up yet?" I could hear Zoe's soft voice coming from behind me. I had to sleep on the couch in the cramped living room since there were only two rooms in the apartment. Of course, Floyd had offered to sleep on the couch and even sleep with him one time... platonically of course. Even so, I didn't want to impose. Plus, it would've felt like I was giving up.

"No I'm still sleeping." I responded groggily.

"Well that's too bad because I need to go to school and I'm late." Zoe plopped down on my stomach.

"Wait what? Do I have time to change?"

"Nope. But don't worry. I'm sure everyone will love seeing you in your pink pajama pants."

I rolled my eyes and sighed before pushing the 80 pound girl onto the ground. "Yeah okay. For that comment, I'm walking you into the classroom... with my panda slippers."

"Noooooooo..." Zoe giggled.

"Oh yes. Come on let's go." I hopped up and strolled to the car with Zoe shuffling behind. When I got closer, I noticed a note stuck between the windshield wipers and plucked it out. The writing was messy, almost frantic.

Meet me in the warehouse between Thomas and 35th at 6:00 tonight. It's been too long.
- J

I tucked the note into my pocket with a small smile peeking through my crimson lips and drove towards Zoe's school.