The Return Of Boris

A/N: So so so sorry for the delay D: this chapter gave me a lot of grief...

You awoke the next day feeling like a brand new person. Was a dark cloud still following you? Yes, of course. But it felt like a weight had been lifted off of your shoulders after finally talking to [him], and confronting your own insecurities. An actual smile is on your face as you take a seat in the cafeteria, eagerly staring down at your plate of waffles and fresh fruit.

"Morning, [Name]."

You glance up to see Noctis standing before you. He rests his hands onto the back of the seat across the table for you, leaning forward slightly.

"Morning, Noct. Wanna eat with me?" you suggest, pointing towards the empty seat with your fork.

"No time," he tells you with a smile. "You have your first mission today."

You release a groan as you drop your head back. Just when you were starting to feel settled in...

"Are you coming with me?" you finally ask, pulling your head up to look at the male.

Noctis stands up straight, running a hand through his messy hair as he stares down at you.

"Yeah, looks like you're stuck with me."

You grin up at the male before gently kicking at the chair he's leaning against.

"Well, there's always time for some food before we head out. Sit with me," you insist.

He watches you for a moment before releasing a light chuckle and pulling out the chair, taking a seat. One of his arms rests on the table, his finger drumming the surface gently.

"So, where are we going?" you ask, taking a large bite of your waffle.

"No clue. Excited to get out?" he guesses.

You shrug, playfully glaring at him as he sneaks a blueberry from your plate and pops it into his mouth.

"Yes and no. I finally feel 'at home' here, but I'm also getting a little cabin fever..." you mutter, stabbing a strawberry with your fork.

"It'll be good for you," he decides, leaning back in his seat. "You deserve a distraction."

"As do you," you agree, leaning forward to place a hand over his. "How is everything, with your Kingdom? Any updates?"

Noctis smiles, turning his hand over from its position under yours as he gently squeezes your hand. It was always so funny, sitting with him and remembering when you first met him. How condescending and dismissive he had seemed. And then, when he bought you your sword as a welcome gift, you realized you'd gained a close ally, someone you can always trust and rely on. Over time, he had only proven that realization right.

Slyly, Noctis grabs your fork with his free hand and steals your strawberry.

"Everything's fine, for now. This is more important, though. To save the worlds and protect you."

By the faint glimmer in his eyes, you know he's telling the truth. And with a smile, you silently thank him for reminding you there's good left in the worlds.

[♥]

"Ahhh, it feels good being back!" Sora exclaims, clasping his hands together behind his head as he leads the march through the snow-covered mountain pass.

Sephiroth (who seemed very normal today, thankfully) had decided you, Roxas, Sora, Noctis, Zack, and Riku should handle The Land of Dragons, since you've all established contacts there as of last year.