Second Thoughts

[ Since our heroine is down, we'll pick up the story from Sinbad's point of view. ]

●●●

I sat beside her bed as I had been doing for the past few days since her collapse. Yamraiha said there wasn't anything wrong with her but I feel the opposite. Something about her unsettles me, although there hasn't been any sensible change.

I reached for her hand under the covers. Yet she didn't react. I squeezed it a few times waiting for her to wake up and slap me across the face like the first time I held her. If that was what it would take for her to open her eyes and look into mine again, the pain would be nothing.

"She's alive. You ought to go mind the paperworks. They're piling up. Specially since Kou declared war on us." Ja'far said entering the room and walking towards the bed.

"She's alive, but she's just breathing. I didn't see Judal do anything to her besides take her. I shouldn't have let him touch her at all." Sin said gritting his teeth.

"Sin, have you really fallen in love with her? Do you not know the consequences of such actions?" Ja'far questioned his king blatantly. Sin looked at the small hand he had taken into his own and thought if it would be better to let it go. Koutsuki knew that her position did not provide her the luxury of falling in love and she had been telling him that but he refused to listen. Maybe he was the only one holding on to such feelings of folly.

"You're right. It costs too much for me to fall in love at this point." Sin finally mouthed as he placed the hand back under the covers. He stood up and walked out of the room Ja'far following beside him. "What matters have come up in my absence?" Sin asked.

"Kou empire have asked the prince and princesses to go back, which we already know. It seems the emperor had indeed die but instead of enthroning the first imperial prince, the throne was given to the empress Gyokuen, Hakuryuu's mother. It would also seem that princess Koutsuki has angered the new monarch and had been casted as a traitor to the Kou empire but they did not want to inform us so they were ordered to bring her home silently." Ja'far reported. Both Sinbad and him reached his office. Sin placed his hands on the majestic double doors' handle taking in the words reported to him. But before he opened the doors to his office he turned to his friend and said, "Prepare a feast. We'll give the prince and princesses a farewell celebration." Ja'far was confused for a moment but merely gave a nod trusting the king knew what he was doing.

The people of the palace were in a hurry at their King's sudden declaration of a feast. The people of Sindria was ever ready for one. The day passed on as everything was prepared and by nightfall the loud and rhythmic beating of the drums could be heard and despite the hour the whole palace was lit as day.

In one table, Aladdin's party celebrated their dungeon capture. Hakuryuu had attained the Djinn of loyalty and purity called, Zagan. He had also lost an arm but thanks to the djinn's Life magic he had produced a substitute.

Hakuryuu sat at a table with a drunk Kougyoku and a very worried Ka Koubun. "Your highness, please stop drinking. You have clearly reached your limit!!" The poor servant hissed at his ward who was slumped on the table flushed red and hiccuping from too much alcohol. "Kabunbun~ *hic* I'm not drunk~ *hic* Just a bit dizzy! *hic* See here..." The princess said holding up her two hands. "Loooook at how many *hic* fingers I haveeeee. Uuuuh, *hic* tooooo many to count *hic* with my haaands~" She said flapping her hands in the air. The embarassed servant put his princess in proper sitting posture and served her water to free her from her delusions. He then turned towards prince Hakuryuu who seemed to be thinking about a serious matter. "Prince Hakuryuu, we have received word from Kou that we are to take princess Koutsuki as prisoner with us as we go back." He reported to the prince.

"I am very much aware. But we can't move her unconscious, specially when we don't know what ails her." The prince replied coldly. "Yes, of course. But you must understand that it is an order fro-" Ka Koubun leaped away as Hakuryuu's hand slammed on top of the table. "Shut up!" The prince demanded. The servant was frozen from fright but came to his senses as his princess tugged on the hem of his sleeve. "Ka Koubun, I think I need more water." A slightly sober Kougyoku requested. The servant nodded but before he could get up a glass of water was placed in front of princess Kougyoku. "Here you are, princess." The king of Sindria greeted. Kougyoku blushed at the sight of the king's smile but took the glass of water to refresh herself. "If I am not interrupting, I would like to talk to princess Kougyoku in private." Sinbad said to her attendants as they nodded and he took her away to the gardens.

Sinbad walked at the all familiar place. He looked up at a balcony overlooking the palace gardens and wondered how was the person in the room fairing. "Ummm, King S-Sinbad. What matters did you want to discuss with me?" Kougyoku said. Sinbad had almost forgotten she was behind him. Nonetheless, he gave her a smile and faced her duly.

"Princess. The time of war had befallen the country of Sindria and it pains me to think that the two of us must fight on opposite ends." He started giving her a sincere sad expression. She looked up to him her face full of determination. "King Sinbad! I will not point my weapon against Sindria! I promise! I'll also go and try to persuade En-nii-sama! THAT'S WHY...PLEASE! TAKE CARE OF TSUKI-NEE!!" She pleaded. The King gave a shocked expression. "The empress and her never had a great relationship and the only one mediating that is En-nii-sama but now that the throne had been given to that witch...I...I don't know what she'd do to Tsuki-nee...so please..." Sinbad gave out a sudden chuckle at the girl's request. He took her hand in both of his staring deeply into her eyes. "I will do as you wish, your highness." Kougyoku's expression lightened and the two of them went back to where the celebration was happening.

After Sinbad had taken Kougyoku back to her table he gave her a quick smile and took his leave. He went to enjoy the celebration as with any other person.

As the night had deepened and the party had waned, most of the people had gone to sleep. Sinbad figured it was also time for him to catch a blink of sleep. He said goodnight to his generals and started walking away. He passed the familiar halls filled with beautiful ornaments glistening from the light of the torches. He was lost in thought. Although he did intend to go back to his own room, he found himself in front of Koutsuki's. He tried to turn the knobs but it was locked, which only meant she had awaken.

He stayed still debating whether to knock or force his way in

He stayed still debating whether to knock or force his way in. But after much thought, he decided to leave her alone mumbling, "I'm sorry." to the door and officially moving away.

●●●

Comments, votes, and follows are deeply appreciated! Thanks for reading!