Confessions of a Concubine

"Ouch!" I yelled as another needle pin pricked my back.

"Sorry about that, your highness." Mai, one of my servants said while trying to fix my dress.

Today was my first day as a concubine of the King of Sindria. Ja'far said my clothes screamed of Kou empire so he gave me and my servants silks to create dresses that made me look like a Sindrian royalty.

"Sindrian clothing sure is lighter than what we had in Kou." Fei, my younger servant said while twirling around in her new Sindrian dress.

"Not to mention vulgar. I mean look at how thin the layers are. I feel exposed." I pointed at their dresses that were much like Ja'far's except that they did not have the head cover. My dress wasn't that different from my original clothing except it only had one layer. After that, I basically only have my undergarments. Ja'far gave me a transparent purple head cover, that sparkled with gems, to cover my hair. It tops just above my head and drops to my waistline to cover my signature red hair that I now wear in an intricate braid.

"Now, now. The king said it would be better for us not to wear such thick clothing since Sindria is a tropical country." Mai reminded me.

"You can't possibly believe that! That guy is just a pervert!" I countered.

"Your highness, what happened to you?" Fei asked innocently. "You used to be all giddy about the king and now you act like you hate him."

"Well...because I do." I muttered. I may have sacrificed my body as Sinbad's concubine but he would have to rip my heart and soul out for me to be entirely his.

Mai suddenly stopped stitching, "Would you like to talk about it?" Her face wore her usual concerned expression whenever Fei and I got something troubling us.

"No. Not really." It would be best to keep opinions against such a powerful ruler to myself. Besides, Mai and Fei now works for Sindria.

"Your highness, Fei and I may work for Sindria but we're still on your side." Mai gave me a smile and continued stitching.

"That's right! Please tell us any of your woes, the same as ever!" Fei held my hand.

"But it isn't the same as ever." I pulled my hand away from hers. "You two are not my servants anymore and I am not your princess any longer."

"Technically, the king appointed us as your servants and you just merely transitioned from Kou princess to the king of Sindria's most favored concubine." Mai explained as though everything was according to plan.

"Yes, yes. Now our goal is to make you queen of Sindria and give birth to its next King!" Fei dreamily suggested.

"W-what?!" I cried in response. "That is never our goal and besides I am probably just one of a hundred concubines, I won't risk my life going against another woman's jealousy and ambition. That is complete suicide." I stated as a matter-of-factly.

Both of my servants looked to me in shock.

"What?" I asked.

"You mean you didn't know?" Fei's eyes widened with disbelief.

"Obviously, I do not know what you are talking about." I rolled my eyes at her.

Mai gave a giggle. "Your highness, you're the only concubine in this palace."

"W-WHAT?!" I exclaimed.

●●●

Breakfast was served in a room with a view of the garden. I arrived in the room upon Sinbad's summon but only found food on a table and servants. I sat down on one of the five chairs I was escorted to.