Chapter 4

The gold blocks gleamed dully in the light of the four redstone torches. Aiden paced around the newly constructed shrine, eyeing it critically. A three by three platform of gold with a single block of netherrack on top in the center, lit by four redstone torches. It was perfect.

"Do you have the flint and steel?" Aiden demanded, glancing behind him at Maya and Gill. Gill held out the flint and steel which Aiden took before approaching the shrine.

"It's time for my glory," Aiden said, striking the flint and steel on the top of the netherrack. The netherrack burst into flames and Aiden stepped back quickly. The flames turned from orange and yellow to blood red, leaping higher and higher. The whole shrine glowed dark orange.

A form stepped out of the flames and came to a stop hovering a few inches off of the ground in front of the shrine. He was taller than Aiden, even if he hadn't been hovering. He had tan skin, hair that was so dark brown it was almost black, a tattered blue-green shirt and dark blue pants. His eyes were white and glowed faintly in the darkness. The figure laughed and the Ocelots shrank back several steps.

"I am Herobrine," the figure finally said, looking down at the Ocelots. "Who summoned me?"

"I did!" Aiden declared, gathering his courage and stepping forward. Herobrine's face remained expressionless.

"As promised, I will fulfill one wish of yours," Herobrine said. "State your desire."

Aiden was trembling with excitement. His hands fumbled in his pocket until he pulled out a picture. He held it up for Herobrine to see.

"Do you see this person?" Aiden asked. Herobrine leaned forward, peering at the paper. He nodded.

"I want you to destroy them!" Aiden announced. "That is my desire!"

"You wish destruction upon this person's real life counterpart?" Herobrine asked.

"Yes, that's what I want!" Aiden agreed, eyes dancing in the firelight.

"Then it shall be done," Herobrine promised. He vanished, as if he had been totally wiped out of existence. Aiden dropped the picture as it began smoking. As soon as the picture touched the grass it burst into flames, dissolving into ashes in a mere moment. A ghostly voice floated on the wind, whispering a single word.

"Jesse . . ."

---

Jesse shivered abruptly, rubbing her arms. Lukas glanced at her in concern.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Jesse told him. "I just got the chills. You know, that feeling when someone walks on your grave."

"Creepy," Lukas said.

"Some say it's omen of doom," Ivor added from ahead.

"Real cheery, Ivor," Petra said. "Thanks for that."

The group advanced farther down the street, weapons drawn as their eyes scanned the area. No sign of anything else strange had appeared since the signs of Herobrine awakening. They were heading to Ivor's house, where he claimed to have an original copy of The Legend of the Three.

"Here we are," Ivor said, coming to a stop in front of a small stone brick home. Flowers decorated the windowsills.

"This is where you're living?" Petra asked, raising her eyebrows. "I figured you lived in a hole someplace."

"It's temporary!" Ivor hedged. "When I build my own house it will have skulls. And lava. Lots of lava."

He opened the front door and led the way inside. Jesse glanced around. It was a small house, with only two rooms. The main room was a living room and doubled as a kitchen. She assumed the second room was some sort of bedroom.

"Where are your books?" Petra asked.

"They're in my study," Ivor explained.

"I don't see a study," Jesse pointed out.

"What's a house without a few modifications?" Ivor asked. He pushed a button and a section of the floor opened, revealing a cobblestone staircase dotted with cobwebs.

"This way," Ivor said, walking down the stairs. He closed the passageway as soon as they were all inside. When they reached the bottom they found themselves in a large underground cellar. Glowstone lamps hung from the ceiling, but they were outnumbered by cobwebs. A cauldron and brewing stand rested against the wall nearby. Bookshelves filled every available space, whether on the walls or out in the center of the room.

"This is more like what I was expecting," Petra said.

"The Legend of the Three should be around here somewhere," Ivor told everyone. "We need to split up and check the shelves. It has a red cover with gold bindings."

"That's the Order of the Stone," Petra grumbled as Ivor vanished into the maze of shelves. "Saving the world one book at a time."

"It could be worse," Jesse pointed out, slipping between the aisles of books. Petra and Lukas split up, searching the many shelves as well.

"The Rise of Zombies," Jesse read as she pulled a book from the shelves at random. "Get More Uses Out of Your Poison Potions. The Dark Side of Endermen. Subtle Manipulations. Nice reading choices, Ivor."

"You should try them sometime," Ivor suggested, stepping out from around a corner.

"There you are! Did you find The Legend of the Three?" Jesse asked, returning the books to their places.

"No," Ivor said. "I came to tell you we don't need you anymore."

"What?" Jesse asked.

"The rest of the Order of the Stone and I have been talking for a while now," Ivor continued, "and we decided you aren't doing us any good by hanging around. You don't have any special skills. You're always bossing people around. You aren't even a good fighter. You're no longer in the Order of the Stone. If you want, I can walk you home."

"You . . . you all talked about this?" Jesse croaked, heart sinking into her shoes. Ivor nodded. He didn't even look sorry. "Ok. Alright. I-I guess I'll just go home then."

"I'll walk you," Ivor agreed.

"No, I'll walk myself," Jesse said.

"Nonsense," Ivor told her, grabbing her arm. "Come along."

Jesse barely resisted as Ivor led her to the staircase and back out of the building.

Poor Lukas, Jesse thought, I wonder if this is how he always feels.

The secret hatch covering the staircase clanged shut behind them.

---

"I found the book!" Lukas shouted, pulling it from the shelves and hurrying down the aisles. Petra and Ivor joined him.

"Perfect!" Ivor said, taking the book from Lukas. "Now we can learn what we need to stop Herobrine."

Ivor, Petra, and Lukas glanced around.

"Wait, where's Jesse?" Ivor asked. "We can't do this without her!"

"Jesse? Jesse!" Lukas called.

"Something's wrong," Ivor murmured. "We need to find her. Quickly!"