Chapter 40: The Big Question

Madison's pregnancy was going great so far. The doctors told her she and the baby were healthy. Daryl was excited about the baby more than she was, he couldn't wait for the next seven months to go by. Daryl kept the photos from her appointment and put them on the fridge so he could see them everyday. Madison was having a good pregnancy so far, just a little bit of sickness at night and cravings.

~

"What kind of names are you wanting?" Madison and her mother were currently in her living room looking at baby names. "I'm not sure, whatever Daryl and I decide on. We don't even know what the baby is yet." Madison flipped around at the boy names for a while, then the girl names. She wanted a boy, but on the other hand she wanted a girl. Either would be fine because she would love him or her anyways.

"I like old time names, like Margaret." Miranda said. "Mom! I'm not naming her Margaret." Madison's mother was obsessed with 'M' names. "I'll let Daryl and I decide the name." Miranda sighed, "alright." She patted Madison's leg. "Your grandma would've been so happy. I can see her now, squealing with joy." Madison teared up at the mention of her grandma. They've been bringing her up a lot lately. It's been years, but it still feels like yesterday since she's passed. "I miss her," Madison wiped away a tear and sniffled. "I only wish she'd gotten to meet, Daryl and my baby." Glancing down at the ring her grandma gave her, she started to cry. "I still can't believe she gave me this." Madison cried. It was her grandmothers wedding ring and was passed down for generations. It was worth a lot of money, but no amount of money is worth losing this piece of her grandma. "She loved you, Madison. You were her only grandchild. I wish she was still around too see you." Sadness was heavy in the air as the girls grieved over the loss of their loved one. "No more crying." Madison said to herself. They moved on to happier things like baby shower ideas.

Daryl got home that evening to see Miranda and Madison cooking dinner. "Hey." He greeted them both and walked over to kiss Madison. "I missed you." Madison blushed and hugged him tightly. "I missed this one too." He rubbed her stomach lightly. "Only two more months until we can find out the sex." Daryl and Madison couldn't wait to know the sex of the baby. It didn't matter to them though as long as he or she was happy and healthy. "My dad will be over soon. He has things to tell you." Madison laughed and got back to cooking with her mom.

Brian arrived later on. He and Daryl talked about hunting, fishing, football, trucks, construction. The whole nine yards. He even threw in some NASCAR. "I'll have to take you on my annual fishing trip. You'll love it." Brian said to Daryl. "Yeah. Sounds like fun." Daryl liked fishing and hunting. Hunting being his favorite of the two.

The ladies served stuffed pork chops with rice for dinner, and a peach pie for dessert. Everyone was stuffed for the night. Miranda cleaned up the kitchen for Madison while she relaxed. She was getting back pains and her feet were swelling some. "Any names yet?" Brian asked. Madison rolled her eyes and snuggled up to Daryl on the couch. "I don't know. We don't know. You and mom are more worried about makes than Daryl and I." Madison was tired, causing her happy mood to decline. "Calm down girl." Daryl teased and rubbed her back. Brian chuckled and shook his head. "Hey, good luck with that one." Brian was picking on Madison and she smiled. "Wait until I have this baby. I'll make you watch the little rascal while we go out and I hope it drives you crazy." Brian shrugged it off. "Madi, I raised you. I'm already crazy from that one."

It was time for her parents to head home for the night. They gave them a hug goodbye and headed to bed. They shared a quick shower first before actually laying down. "Do you have a name in mind?" Madison asked Daryl who was staring at her stomach and feeling it. "Nah. Just figured we'd wait until we know what we're havin' before pickin' anythin'." He kissed her cheek after he spoke. "We can do that." Madison snuggled up into Daryl's chest. Her face buried in his neck, breathing in the masculine scent that he sported. "I love you," she whispered, lifting her head to give him a proper opened mouth kiss. "I love you too," he told her them leaned down to kiss her stomach. "And you too baby." Madison giggled at his excitement. She enjoyed watching him when he talked to the baby. Daryl's never been more excited about something in his life.

The days were going by fast and Madison was still able to go to school and work. She notified her boss that in a few months she would take a leave in order to take care of the baby. Daycare was still undecided yet. Daryl wanted Madison to stay home and raise the baby, but Madison thought that if she worked it would help out more than he thought it would. Babies are expensive, that's why Madison is trying to buy everything she can now while they have lots of money and are stable. Tough times can happen at any moment and she wants to be prepared.

Daryl was spoiling Madison to death. Not only was he buying stuff for the baby, but he was helping out around the house more. The days when Madison worked or had class she'd be exhausted by the time she got home. Daryl would always made sure the kitchen and living room were straightened up and that a nice cool bath was ready for her. He loved Madison more than anyone in the whole world, and he even thought about popping the big question soon. He just didn't want to ever fail her as a husband. He wanted to be her knight in shining armor.

~

Brian and Daryl were outside in the back yard of Daryl's house. They were cleaning up the lawn after the winter. Brian had wanted to talk with Daryl for awhile in private. Now was his chance.

"Are you planning on marrying my daughter?" Daryl's eyes widened at the question. He wanted to marry Madison but he was afraid of letting her down as a husband. "I don't know," Daryl mumbled and shrugged his shoulders. He knew it was a lie. He did know. He wanted to marry Madison. "My daughter deserves a husband. You know that, right?" Daryl only nodded, continuing his work. "I wanna, jus' don't know how is all."

Brian walked over to Daryl and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You're a good man, Daryl. I know it. You're good for her and you'll be a great father, hopefully a husband one day too. I don't wanna rush you two kids into anything, but just know that you have my blessing." Daryl stared at Brian unsure of what to say. He's never had a father figure in his life and Brian was the closest thing too that. Too hear him say that Daryl was a good man made his heart squeeze a bit and he felt loved. Daryl never thought he'd be the type to get married, but after Merle died he became his own person and didn't have someone hovering over him to judge his actions all the time.

"Thanks... I love her." Daryl said quietly. He looked to the ground and picked at his thumb nail with one hand. "I know, son. I know." Brian patted Daryl's back and they went back to work like nothing ever happened.

****
💜Sorry it's so short. I'll update again soon.

💜Comment & Vote!

Thanks ~ InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥