•twelve

Lauren stayed locked up in her art room ever since Natalie visit. Paint covered everything she wore and her pale skin. Soft music played in the background of the dimly lit room. Sadness was in the air and she couldn't escape it. Not even if she tried.

It was a robbery gone bad, the police told 15 year old Lauren. Her and Natalie broke down in tears in the quiet, cold room that they were held in at the police station. They never liked each other back then, but that tragedy brought them closer to one another. And as they matured into woman, they parted ways and started their own lives without one another.

That night ended in crying and lots of paint on the tile floor. I'll clean it later, she always told herself . She never did.
Lauren slept in a fetal position on the hard floor which left her sore and regretful when the morning came. Wincing, she rose from the ground and headed for the shower.

As the scolding hot water ran down her back, she let her mind think about someone other than her apologetic sister. Zayn. He'd called her several times for two days straight but she didn't know what she'd say if she were to actually talk to him again. That would be one cringeworthy conversation. Hey, um, remember when we met at that art gallery and fucked a few days later? Good times, right? Oh and remember when your brother walked in on us?

Lauren walked out the shower and wrapped a towel around her body. Within minutes, she had on a T shirt with denim jeans and a pair of converse to tie the simple look together. Her hair was tied back into a messy ponytail. Even though it looked like she put little to no effort in her outfit, she still looked effortlessly beautiful.

She went to grab her keys off the living room coffee table when she noticed a little letter peeking from underneath her front door. The handwriting was obviously Carlos'.

Hope you aren't still made at me, novia. Let me take you to that little bar up in town that you like so much. My treat. Oh yeah, I stole a slice of pizza out of your fridge last night. You need to lock your door!
                  -Carlos

A smile formed on her lips and she left her apartment, making sure to lock the door behind her. Lauren did feel bad about talking to Carlos the way she did the other day. He was only trying to be a good friend by showing concern for the bruises on her neck but that backfired. Something deep inside her felt like she didn't deserve that type of concern. Or maybe she just wasn't used to it. No body had cared for her as much as Carlos did. Other than her parents, God rest their souls.

At work, Lauren was stuck unboxing new records and organizing them. Tina had the day off but Jeffery was there too help her.

"You've been so quiet recently." Jeff said, handing her a new box to unload.

A costumer walked in and they both welcomed the stranger. He turned his attention back to her and Lauren turned her attention back to stacking.

"I guess I haven't had much to talk about." Lie.

A long silence grew between them as they both stacked and organized. Then Jeff remembered something.

"Oh yeah, some guy came by here looking for you yesterday. Said his name was Zade."

Lauren laughed. "You mean Zayn?"

"Yeah."

"Oh yeah, he's a friend of mine."

Jeff grinned from ear to ear. "You sure. You smiled pretty hard when you said his name."

The truth was written all over her face. Yes, Lauren Jauregui was actually blushing. It was a rare sight.