•nineteen

"We've tried this before, Zayn. What makes you think it'll work this time?"

Zayn sat at one end of the couch pondering his options while Dean sat at the other end playing with his lighter. Zayn watched as he nearly burned his fingertips like a true pyromania.

"Lila didn't know what she was getting herself onto with us but you have to admit it worked with her while it lasted."

It being an old flame that went three ways with the two of them and a girl they knew since their high school years. That happened years ago when Zayn couldn't decide who he wanted in his bed more. Lila or Dean?  Then something crossed his mind. Wouldn't it be heaven to have them both? Zayn had always seen the way Lila secretly looked at Dean when she thought he wasn't looking. At first,  she was shocked when Zayn offered to bring Dean to bed with them. But after the first night the three of them were inseparable. That lasted a year until she decided she needed to focus on other things like college.

"Yes, it was," Dean admitted.

"Why not try again?"

"I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm saying if we're going to do this....we have to be sure this time. Are you even sure Lauren is for this?"

"I'm sure."

"So, you've talked to her? About the three of us.. "

Zayn lightly tapped the sketch pad in his lap and looked at the ceiling with a sigh.

"Not yet."

Dean ran his hand through the flame of his lighter as he narrowed his eyes at him.

"Then how can you possibly be sure that she wants this?"

The truth is,  he didn't. But Dean didn't need to know that. Zayn knew one glimpse of doubt would be enough for Dean to back out.

"I just do," Zayn tried to sound calm and honest. 

He looked over and saw Dean wasn't happy. The look on his face was somewhere between worry and fear. Maybe both. Zayn recognized that look from years ago when Dean used to come to school riddled with bruises. He hated when Dean had that look in his eyes. Was he scared that this might not work?

Zayn sat his sketch pad down on the coffee table and crawled across the plush couch on all fours. The sight of him looking all predator-like sent a violent chill up Dean's back. It had been so long since Zayn had touched him but he knew Dean needed to be touched right then. Zayn caressed the side of Dean's face and he leaned into the warmth of his hand.

"Don't over think this," Zayn said.

"I'm not."

"Then, what's on your mind?"

"Do you really want to try this again?"

Zayn pressed his forehead against Dean's.

"More than anything. Don't you?"

"Yeah, I think it's worth a shot."

All of Zayn's worries were put to rest. He placed a hand on the back of Dean's neck and pressed his lips against his. They shared a kiss for only seconds before Zayn pulled away. A sense of satisfaction washed over him now that Dean was ready to jump off the deep end. Again.

*~*

Lauren released a long breath and adjusted the necklace on her neck so the 'LJ' sat perfectly between her collarbones. It was the first time she'd worn his gift. She'd stolen Carlos' idea and slid a note under his door that read,"I'm sorry about last week. I rented The Notebook and I bought pizza (Pepperoni. Your favorite !) Come over when you get this. I need my best friend back. 
-Lauren :( "