Oddities

The sun had set much before they left the beach. They took the bus back to Thessaloniki. Peter didn't want to go home, so he followed Jack to the park. He stayed there with him a little more. Jack was begging him to leave. Not because he wanted him to do so. But Peter begged him to stay a little more. How Jack could say no?

"They are going to be mad anyway. Let me stay a little more by your side. I beg of you!"

And so it was a little after ten o'clock when, with a heavy heart, Peter left.

A few steps after leaving the park, he felt the freezing breeze of the winter's night.

"How odd! I would swear that until now the weather was warm... How odd..."

On arriving at his apartment's building he saw a young man waiting. A very good looking one to tell the truth. Peter approached the building's door. The young man smiled to him. Unconsciously Peter smiled back; heartily. He had never seen this young man, but something inside him felt him familiar, and surprisingly in a good way.

Peter opened the door and entered the building. The young man followed him. Even more, for some reason Peter hold the door for him. Still smiling.

"Thank you very much", the young man said smiling back to him.

The two of them took the elevator.

"Which floor?"

"Second", the young man said.

Peter pressed number two. He also lived there. They arrived there. Peter put his key in his apartment's door. At the moment he was turning it the young man grasped Peter's nape firmly but gently nevertheless.

"Peter, play along with me", he simply said looking straight to the door that now was opening.

"Where the fuck have you been you bastard?"

It was his father's voice. He expected it, but coming back from the park he wasn't able to find an excuse. Well, he was just thinking what a wonderful day he had, and kept thanking the Gods. So now he froze.

"Ehm, sorry to bother you Mr and Mrs Hart", the young man politely spoke.

Peter's father came to the door. "And who are you?"

His tone was a lot different. He and his mother always cared about what people say and think about them and the family.

"I am Demise Green, Peter's teacher Mr. Green's son."

"Oh! What have he done?"

"No, no sir! Nothing like that. My father engaged Peter in a school project and, you know how these things are, time flied without noticing, so since it is late my father told me to bring Peter home. It wouldn't be right for a young boy to be alone this late would it be?"

"Oh! I see! Thank you very much Demise."

"Not at all! After all, if this is not too much of a burden for you, I would like to talk a little more with Peter for the project. May I?"

And without waiting any answer he entered the house.

"If it is for a school project I guess there is not helping it, is it?"

Peter's father actually laughed. It was a forced fake laughter, but even though, Peter hadn't seen any of it for some years now.

"Thank you so much sir! You have a great home here! Oh, hello Mrs Hart. Very nice to meeting you!"

And as if he knew exactly where Peter's room was, he walked Peter to his room. When the door closed behind them the young man who called himself Demise Green took his hand from Peter's nape. Peter looked at his face. Demise smiled to him and winked.