Heights

Thalia's POV

Reyna had left me to my own despair. I was slumped over on the mattress my mind contemplating the things she had said. It was true. My training was completely sub-par. I had never really thought about it before and no one had ever mentioned it. However, she was right as usual. I had picked everything up off the streets, I struggled when it came to defense, I was more of a 'constantly go for the kill' type of person. I had been turned into a tree and in case people don't know you can't exactly train to be a demigod. The best you can do is produce oxygen and get poisoned by your former best friend. So yes, I was behind on the learning curve and to be honest it bothered me the more I thought about it.

With a sigh I stood up from the bed and began to mentally kick myself for what I was about to do. I slunk out of the room and walked casually down the hall. Needless to say everyone had provably expected a rather large blow out of a scene and they would be rather curious as to why that didn't happen. Sure enough as soon as my ugly face appeared everyone craned their necks to get a good look at me. Reyna was slumped over on one of the couches her face strained with concentration and a distant look in her eye. She was way to much like Annabeth.

"Yo Space Cadet," I called snapping Reyna out of her daze. She looked up at me curiously and I could feel the other's eyes burning in my back. "I thought about your offer. Training it is."

I realized my huge mistake during the first few seconds of our sparring round. Everyone had gathered outside to see me get my ass whooped. To be honest I couldn't blame them. It probably got their minds off of our problems and well...who doesn't like to watch their leader get beat up?

Reyna stood in a casual stance her fists raised in a boxer's poise. I mimicked a similar poise. Becca who had been chosen to give the word to start called for us to fight. Reyna was the first to move. She feigned a right hook and went for the straight jab. I managed to side step and circled around her. She moved  to correct her stance and face me. I went to punch her when she intercepted my fist mid swing, ducked under my arm and flipped me onto my back. I landed with a painful thud and the wind left my lungs.

"Too slow. The punch was good but I could see the opening before it happened." Reyna stated pulling me to my feet. I let out a deep breath and rolled my shoulders.

"Alright let's go again." And so we did. This time I was the first to make a move. I clipped her shoulder with a left hook but she retaliated with a shot of her own. Ducking swiftly I avoided the punch but walked right into the knee she had waiting for me.

"Better. You have to remember there are other body parts not only your own but your opponent's as well. Everything can be used as a weapon. You have to be aware of all of it. If you get too close after a punch they can knee you. If you stay far away they can kick you. Always keep moving. It interrupts your enemy's ability to comprehend your attack." I nodded already feeling bruises form on my skin.

"Alright. Keep moving." Becca gave the word and we went at it for a third time. I spun kicking at Reyna's head. She batted my leg away and went to sweep my leg out from under me. I jumped dodging the attack and landed easily. I shuffled my feet a little remembering her advice. I watched trying to observe her fighting style. The only problem was she didn't have one. She acted as need be. Reyna lashed out with a butterfly kick jumping and spinning in the air. I smacked her leg away and struck at her from behind. My fist almost hit her square in the back when she side stepped slightly and hooked my arm under hers. I was trapped. No you're not, everything is a weapon. She had her back to me. I had an advantage. I kneed her in the back of the leg which caused her knee to buckle. Only as she crumbled did I notice she was using her momentum to flip me over her shoulder. I was on my back again.