Should've Known

Thalia's POV

No one was gonna stop me from leaving camp. Not Sila, or Fawn, or anyone else. I had gathered my things hastily and made a straight shot towards half blood hill. Only someone was waiting there for me and it just had to be adorable sweet Grover.

"Thalia," He sighed seeing the anger written on my face.

"Grover don't," I sighed shaking my head.

"Please just listen," Grover begged but I ignored him. He grabbed my arm tugging me backwards so I couldn't leave. "You can't Thalia. It's dangerous."

"I don't care," I growled pulling my arm away.

Grover bit his lip tears welling in his eyes and I knew I was being unfair. "Please? Just stay. Talk it out. Everything will be fine."

"Grover I can't. People are depending on me," I sighed, my tone becoming more gentle. He shook his head and it was clear he had come to the realization that there was no way of talking me out of this.

"Stay safe alright?" He said sniffling.

"I will," I smiled lightly and hugged him . He had grown taller and looked much older. It hurt me a little but in the end he was still the same boy who had rescued me off the streets. "I'll come back alright? Keep an eye on the others for me."

"Will do." He let go of me and straightened his posture. He always responded better when given a task. It made him feel useful when we went away on quests while he was stuck having to guide other satyrs.

With that, I gave him a light smile and jogged off down the hill. When I reached the base I concentrated on the winds and soon I was running at top speed.

I knew where I was going. What my first job was. I only had to get there but it shouldn't have been too hard with my new powers. The terrain flashed by as you would expect when riding in a car. My legs turned over, each step eating up important distance. It would take me a day or maybe two to get back to the compound. The strange place that had held Reyna, Hylla, and the others.

In the meantime I basked in how good the wind felt on my face with it's cool fingers tousling my hair but no matter how fast I was going I couldn't outrun what had happened. Not only had I yelled at everyone, I'd told them things I hadn't really known about myself.

What irritated me the most though wasn't the fact that I had embarrassed myself in front of the others. I embarrassed myself all the time. What was really the cause of my boiling blood was Reyna. She sat there so calm and collected and just read me like a book.

I hated it. I hated the calculating state of her eyes. The way she made you feel inferior when she spoke. How the words just pried you open until you broke. But what enraged me even more was the fact that the person who had been at the meeting wasn't Reyna.

It was the Praetor. The one who wore the mask and played the part. Who shut things out because that was what was required to do the job. It was how she ignored my cues for her to keep quiet. It was how she had opened me up without remorse. The saddest thing about it all was that she had no idea she was doing it. No idea she wasn't Reyna anymore but instead the Praetor.

It hurt. Especially because this stupid journey or quest, whatever it was had been an eye opener. She wasn't always a Praetor. She had insecurities and doubts. Problems like the rest of us. Sure I had seen her before calm and relaxed not being in charge or anything but it was different.

There was no need for her to be the Praetor. Though she may not have noticed it was clear to me it was rather freeing for her.