Death

Thalia's POV

Everyone was prepared. We'd talked about the plan one too many times and it was all supposed to be perfect. Nothing could go wrong if we did this right. The base was a small little shack of a place clearly not guarded. It couldn't possibly be more than that. The building just didn't have the capacity.

The voices that had bounced around inside my head had only gotten stronger as we drew nearer. It had gotten so bad I could hardly see straight. Reyna concerned as ever helped guide me.

We'd circled the building and closed in until it was surrounded by a ring of kick ass girls wielding deadly weapons. It was supposed to be a smash and dash according to Maya. Get in screw things up and get out with our friends as quick as possible.

Hylla was the first to go in and the sound of clashing blades encouraged the others to file in. Inside had been nothing more than a few monsters. The inside of the shack like structure appeared to be empty and the fear of a fake lead crept in.

"It's not a false lead if there were people waiting. Since when do armed monsters casually chill in the middle of nowhere?" Reyna asked walking around and studying the interior. "Something's hidden. We just have to find it."

"Brilliant as always little sis," Hylla said kicking over a splintered crate and examining a few hanging chains from the ceiling. "Sparky pull on those."

"I can't reach them," I replied flatly.

"Jump. Can't you fly like your brother?" Hylla asked.

"No I can't." I snapped crossing my arms. My head was pounding I didnt want to be here.

"Thalia can you boost me?" Reyna asked shooting her sister a look I couldn't read. Nodding I laced my fingers together making a foothold for her. She placed her foot in my hand and stood up. Muscles strained I managed to give her an extra inch or to by pushing up. She snagged the chains and tugged on them. One offered a clicking sound. Reyna tugged on it with all her weight.

There was a popping noise and we searched for what it belong to. Out towards the back was a cellar door that had been tugged open by the chain pulley system.

"Bingo," Hylla smiled. "Going down anyone?"

"Me first!" Louise bolted down the cellar steps followed by the others determined not to be outdone by a kid. Hylla went last out of that group. I studied the darkness that sat waiting for me. A breeze seemed to echo out of it and on the breeze there was a whisper.

''Hello' I took a step back quickly only to feel Reyna's hand on the small of my back grounding me.

"Easy," She said. "What did you hear?"

"Hello," I said simply. Reyna swallowed hard and nodded.

"That's either good or bad. I have a feeling it's the latter." Reyna pushed me towards the entrance and followed me down the steps. My hand twitched inching towards my bracelet but if I expanded my shield in this small corridor I'd get stuck.

The others walked in a single file line in front of us. As we got farther along the ache in my head became more intense and I couldn't help but whimper a bit.

"It's okay," Reyna promised, close behind me. "Whatever you're hearing ignore it."