Chapter Twenty Seven♥

We had been driving for twenty minutes.

Jared hadn't said a word, he only stared out the window, the vein in his neck sticking out boldly underneath the skin of his neck as he clenched his jaw, his eyes fixed firmly on the road ahead of him.

The longer we didn't speak, the angrier I became. How did he think it was right to speak to me that way after what had just happened between us? I was beginning to understand that there was a lot more to Jared than I had initially thought, but in order for me to get to know and understand him; he needed to open up to me.

"Are you just not going to speak to me now?" I finally questioned.

Jared craned his neck slightly, his eyes continuing to remain on the road, "I am speaking to you."

"Oh really?" I asked sarcastically, "Because you've been pretty silent for the past twenty minutes."

"I just..." Jared began before he trailed off, biting his bottom lip as he shook his head. I waited for him to continue but it quickly became obvious that he wasn't going to carry on his sentence by the way he continue to stare out of the windshield dejectedly.

"Jared talk to me!" I practically pleaded, "I don't understand what's just happened! One minute you were kissing me and the next you're shouting at me for asking questions. You told me you had a brother, and now you don't have a brother." My voice rose with every word, my whole body practically shaking with anger, "You can't go from telling me you think I'm beautiful to speaking to me like shit! It's not fair!"

"I don't want to talk to you!" Jared yelled, the volume of his voice causing me to flinch back. "I can't talk to anyone about it ok?" He was gripping the steering so tight his knuckles were turning white. "Why do you have to ask questions? Why can't you just leave anything Jade?"

"Jared, slow down." I shouted angrily, my hands clutching at the leather seat beneath me as the speed of the car increased. "Slow down now!"

I was panting, my heart beating frantically in my chest as I watched Jared angrily pull over. Jared stopped the engine, his own breathing bated as he slowly released the wheel. His hands were shaking as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Jade-"

My palm had reached out without my control, connecting with his cheek and causing a loud slap to ring out due to the harsh skin on skin contact. His head whipped to the side, his eyes pinching shut as I slapped him. I pulled my hand back, my breathing shaky as I stared at him in disbelief.

"Why did you do that?" I cried, tears prickling at my eyes as I looked at him. "I was terrified."

"I'm sorry." Jared whispered. He ran a hand over his face and I noticed the dark rings under his eyes. He suddenly looked very young and tired, as if he hadn't had a decent night's sleep in a while. He looked at me, his eyes swimming with a dark emotion I couldn't decipher. He reached for me but drew back, seeming to think better of it. "Jade, I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me."

"You scared me." I told him honestly, "Seeing you like that, so angry, it scared me."

Jared took a deep breath, the sound shaky and broken as he turned to look at me, "I don't ever want you to be scared of me Jade."

His eyes were shining with tears, his expression distraught as he reached out for me. It was as if a wall had come down and suddenly the cocky and charming Jared Felton had became a broken little boy. His hands found my cheeks, his lips pressing to my forehead as he muttered apology after apology. I was frozen, my mind so overwhelmed by the events that had happened today. I pulled back to stare at Jared and it struck me that perhaps I barely knew him.