Chapter Thirty One♥

Warning - sensitive topics are discussed in this chapter.

The Alchemist was a small bar located in the middle of Chester. I got out of the taxi after handing over a few notes and shivered when the cold air hit me. In my haste I had forgotten to grab a coat so I was only in my thin hoodie and a pair of grey tracksuit bottoms. I looked down at my phone and quickly texted Jared.

I'm here.

I walked towards the bar and looked through the windows. I couldn't make out much, just a few people sitting near the bar. It looked a lot warmer in there than it was out here with the soft golden lights.

"Can I help you Miss?"

I jumped and turned to see a bouncer eyeing me suspiciously. I could imagine how dodgy I was coming across with my dishevelled appearance and baby face.

"I'll need to see some ID if you want to come in."

The woman held her hand out expectantly.

"No, I don't want to come in," I shook my head quickly, "I'm here to meet a friend, he's actually inside and he told me to meet him here." I faltered slightly as I considered the fact that perhaps Jared had already left.

"No ID, no entry." She said, her voice strong with finality.

"I know, I know. I just said I don't want to come in." I attempted to reassure her. I wondered how Jared had gotten past this woman without an ID. I remembered how easily he had gotten served when we went for a meal with his parents and how he often got mistaken for looking older than he actually was. Must be something to do with his stupid sharp jawline. 

I backed away from the bar and looked down at my phone once again. Jared still hadn't text me back. I huffed angrily, if I had come all this way for nothing I would feel like such an idiot.

The door of The Alchemist banged open and the bouncers attention was quickly diverted from me to the source of the noise.

Jared was stumbling out of the bar with a bouncer following closely behind him. He looked smart in a black shirt and blazer, however his hair was dishevelled and his face looked pale. He faltered slightly against the wall, his eyes pinching shut as it looked like he was trying not to throw up.

"Oh fuck me." I cursed under my breath.

I already knew it was a mistake to come here.

"I think you've had a bit too much mate." the male bouncer said solemnly.  He was standing in front of the door anxiously, as if he expected Jared to dart back in when he wasn't looking.

"I told you, I'm already going, I was just waiting for someone." Jared replied defiantly.

"You're with this girl?" The female bouncer frowned, her finger pointing in my direction.

I froze as they all turned to look at me. I slipped my phone back in my pocket and awkwardly waved.

"Jade, you came." Jared said dumbly.

"Well...yeah," I shrugged, "I'm starting to regret my decision though." I mumbled under my breath.

Jared stepped away from the wall and walked over to me. He stared at me anxiously, his fingers fumbling with the golden chain he always wore.

I swallowed hard and tried to ignore how nervous I was feeling. I didn't have a clue what I was doing here, especially after how he had treated me earlier today.

His green eyes continued to search my own, his vision glazed over slightly due to his intoxication. His expression dropped suddenly, his lips pouting in sadness. He jolted forward so suddenly that I jumped before his arms wrapped around me. He pulled me towards him in a messy embrace. My face was squashed against his chest as he pulled me impossibly close, his face buried in my hair. He smelled like cigarettes and whiskey, however a hint of his sharp aftershave remained.