Chapter Thirty♥

The library was always busy in the last few weeks of the winter term before the Christmas holidays. The teachers had decided that the perfect Christmas presents for their students was a heap of work and mock exams the day we arrived back. The Christmas dance was also looming and everyone was attempting to finish their workload so they could focus on the upcoming festivities.

"How did you get the answer 150? I've got 55?" I groaned in exasperation as I looked down at the equation in front of me.

I slammed my maths book shut with some force which caused my highlighters to roll off the table. I had been trying to do my maths homework and I was getting nowhere with it. I huffed and glanced at the Christmas tree that was positioned by our desk; it had been decorated hazardously with silver tinsel and red baubles.

"You have to multiply and then divide," Violet; the mathematical whizz tried to explain. She had looked up from her English coursework, her glasses slipping down her nose slightly as she looked over my work.

"You make it sound so simple." I mumbled begrudgingly as I crossed out the wrong answer, "You literally looked at it for a second."

"Your brain just doesn't do math." Edward said teasingly.

I massaged my temple with a groan, "My brain hurts."

"It doesn't take much." Edward continued, his eyes glinting in amusement.

I kicked him under the table, "Shut up."

"I gave up after question five." Lucy reassured me as she wrapped a pencil in her blonde hair, "Do you think the Christmas dance will be themed this year?"

"We were talking about it in the meeting today actually," Violet said, her words causing Lucy to perk up considerably, "We're stuck between costumes and formal. Caroline was saying that people might not dress up but I disagreed. Everyone made a lot of effort for Halloween."

"Do you think we'll be able to get ready at yours?" Lucy asked, her blue eyes on me.

I shrugged, "I asked my Mum, she said she'd think about it."

"What could you even dress up as?" Edward frowned, "Christmas is a bit of a shit theme! No one wants to dress up like a Christmas tree."

"You would look cute as a Christmas tree," Violet said shyly.

"Right," Edward snorted, "But thank you." He added quickly with a smile.

Violet grinned, her cheeks turning pink as she quickly looked down at her coursework. Lucy and I glanced at each other quickly; neither of us missing the small exchange between our two friends.

"I think I'm going to go as a polar bear," Lucy stated thoughtfully.

"Did you actually just say that?" Edward asked slowly.

"Yeah," Lucy snapped defensively, "I'm going to find a fur dress."

"A fur dress-"

"Yeah? What's wrong with that?"

"You'll look like a big pompom."

"You're so annoying!"

I opened my mouth to say something; growing more and more amused by the spectacle that was happening before me, but I stopped when I saw Jared walking into the library.

Jared didn't resemble his usual self at all; no trace of the confident, cocky troublemaker. He was walking with his head down, his blonde hair messy and flopping down on his forehead; his usual windswept style nowhere to be seen. He glanced around the library sheepishly, his hand clutching his rucksack nervously. He was looking in the direction of our table now; his eyes brushing over Edward, Lucy, Violet and finally me. Our eyes met for a second before he looked away quickly; ducking his head and walking in the direction of the science books.