Chapter 2

"Mom?" Reuben called out, but there was no answer. "Mom?!" He called out a little louder. He walked into his mother's office to find her asleep with her headphones on. He walked over to her and took the headphones off her ears and screamed. "MOM!"
    Beca fell out of her chair upon hearing the loud scream of her son in her ear. "Reuben! That hurt!" She said while getting up and holding her ear.
"Sorry." He said sarcastically to his mother, who was obviously joking. Beca ran up to Rueben and picked him up in a hug.
"I love you," She whispered into his ear. Ten years ago Beca never would have seen herself as a mother, but somehow now she was and she loved it.
She put Reuben down on the couch and asked him about his day. He gave her the note and she read it.
"Hmm, I know someone with the last name Beale... That's weird. It must be a pretty common last name." She thought for a second and then decided to change the subject. "Anyway, is Avery nice?"
"Yes! And she is super pretty!"
"Does someone have a crush?" She asked, tickling him.
"No!" He replied between laughs.
"Yes you do! Come on Lil' Buddy, you can tell me!"
"Okay, yes I do, but don't tell her!"
"Fine."
"Pinky promise!"
"I pinky promise."
  They shook pinkies and Beca wrote a note to tell "Miss Beale" they will be able to go. She wrote;
"Dear Miss Beale,
Reuben and I are very excited to come over your house for a movie!  Thank you so much for inviting us. I will bring brownies because that's the polite thing to do apparently. (Sorry... I'm really sarcastic. You will have to get used to it.) Anyways, thank you! Reuben and I can't wait!
Best regards,
Miss Mitchell (Reuben's mom)"
"Reuben? Make sure you give this to Avery tomorrow, okay?"
"Okay, I will."