divulgence

n. To make known (something private or secret).

Sheets of rain battered down on the roof of the SUV as it slowed to a stop at the crossroads. A lone walker stumbled its way towards the front of the car, it's mangled arm swaying with each movement. 

"Run it over," you heard Daryl mutter from the passenger seat. You looked out the window as the car took off again, plowing the undead to the ground. The deep green of the forest seemed almost black in the dim lighting. It was mid-morning, so you thought, yet the unpredictable weather made it seem near night. You turned in your seat as Maggie spoke up from the front.

"It's jus' up ahead on the right." You let out a soft sigh and pulled your jacket tighter around you. As Maggie stopped the car out front of the old nursing home, you all seemed to take a moment to brace yourselves for the weather. Maggie nodded at Daryl and you all quickly exited the vehicle, stopping at the broken double doors. Daryl banged on the door a couple times and you all stood back, staring down the dark hallway. Nothing. Daryl was the first down the hall, inspecting the first room, with you and Maggie close behind. The building was empty of walkers, so the three of you split up and started raiding rooms for supplies. 

As you were clearing a cabinet of bandages and medicine, Daryl came in. You turned and offered him a small smile before returning to the cabinet.

"We're leavin' soon," he muttered. 

You couldn't tell what was going on with him anymore. A week ago, the two of you had gotten a bottle of vodka and taken it up one of the guard towers for watch. It was a hot night, and mosquitoes were abundant. Halfway through the bottle you had started to feel the buzz, and lent back against the wall hoping to get some sleep. He had sat next to you, taking a swig of the alcohol before placing the bottle down next to him. Neither of you moved for  while and you were nearing sleep when he spoke.

"(Y/N)?" Your eyes opened slowly as you turned to face him.

"Yeah?" He looked away and stared off into the darkness. You kept you gaze on his face and he turned to face you.

"I just.." He looked down at his hands and a smile found is way to your lips.

"I know, you don't have to say it."  You attempted to stand too quickly and you instantly felt a headrush, leaning against the rail to catch yourself but you slipped. Daryl jumped up and caught you before you collided with the concrete. You turned to finish your sentence but he interrupted you.

"Just get some sleep, I got watch." He walked you in the tower and lowered you to the ground. You sat and put your head in your hands attempting to form a coherent sentence as he walked back out. You'd missed your damn chance.

"(Y/N), come on, get that stuff in the car. What'd you find?" You looked up at Maggie and held up a handful of bandages and she smiled. You stuffed the last of them in the bag and quickly walked to the car. Daryl was loading in bag and a crate of tins, he turned and held out his arm for your bag. Handing it off, you walked around the car and slid in the backseat, a sinking feeling in your stomach. You heard Maggie and Daryl having a muted conversation as they made their way around the car. 

The trip back to the prison was filled with small talk between you and Maggie. A couple of times you had glanced in the rear view mirror and Daryl had met your gaze before you dropped your eyes. 

"So how about him?" Maggie had turned in her seat and was smiling expectantly at you.

"Wait, who, what?" 

"I said Tyrese, you two seem to be getting pretty close... Anything goin' on there?" She had the widest grin and heat rushed to your cheeks. You knew Tyrese had a thing for Karen, apparently Maggie hadn't gotten that memo though, not that you were interested in him anyway. 

"Ah, nope. He's not really my type." Maggie was about to pry more when Daryl slowed the car, it was then you noticed you were back at the prison. 

Once Daryl parked the car, you sat where you were for a few minutes whilst the other two exited. Daryl glanced at you as he shut his door. As he made his way to the boot, he opened your door for you, waiting for you to get out. You glanced over your shoulder and saw Maggie conversing with Rick on the findings. You turned back to Daryl and stood, grabbing his shirt and pulling him towards you. You planted a quick kiss on his lips. He froze and as you pulled away, you felt a smile pull at the corner of your lips. You ducked past him and he watched after you for a moment before shaking his head, and shutting the door, coming to help unload the findings.

Later that evening after dinner, everyone retired to their cells for the night. You hadn't seen Daryl since earlier that afternoon and you couldn't help but feel awkward. What if he didn't actually feel the same and you'd just fucked up your friendship? 

As you made your way to you cell, you uttered quiet goodnights to Rick and the others. It was cold in your cell, colder than it was outside, so you didn't bother removing your clothes before you dropped to the ground and crawled under your sleeping bag. You lay curled up in a ball when you heard a soft knock of your bars. You stood and pulled open the curtain to reveal Daryl standing in your doorway. You motioned for him to come in and he smiled. You quickly turned to him before you could stop yourself,

"Right so the other night in the watch tower I had something to say and I didn't, but I need you to know. I've fallen pretty damn hard for you Daryl." He moved closer and ducked his head to meet your gaze. 

"Good." He smirked as he leaned down and kissed you longingly. Your arms wrapped around his neck and he held you tight around your waist. He pulled away and turned to go back to his cell, but you grabbed him hand and pulled him back.

"Stay. Please?" You whispered, almost afraid he'd continue walking out. He rolled his eyes but a small smile danced over his features as he dropped onto your bed, and you lay down beside him. You pulled the sleeping bag over the two of you as you lay on your side, facing him. He glanced at you before playfully pushing your face away. You laughed as you rolled onto your back, drifting off.

a/n: feel free to request, and tell me what you think. xo