heights

Pasty white fingers dripping with dark blood poked their way through the chain link fence, mere centimetres from your face in your efforts to keep them out. Your arms were tiring from exerting all your force to keep the gate closed. You heard yelling behind you accompanied by heavy, fast approaching footsteps. Turning your head slightly, you saw Daryl and Glenn scouting the small alley for an escape route. You cringed as you watched Glenn pull down a fire escape, yelling for you to leave the gate and start heading up. You froze, heart beat pounding in your ears as you watched the two men clamber up the stairs, waiting for you on the first landing. You held your breath as you sprinted for the stairs, taking them two at a time as the gate flew open and the walkers tumbled in. As you reached the top of the stairs, you bent over; hands gripping your knees and focusing on keeping your breath even. To put it mildly: you weren't great with heights. Any heights, period. As your heart beat calmed you straightened your posture, coming face to face with the stares of Glenn and Daryl. 

"You alright?" You glanced at Glenn, giving him a reassuring nod. You gaze flickered over to Daryl, his eyebrows furrowed. You turned away, fidgeting with your bag straps as Glenn returned.

"Guys, we have to go up. Go across the rooftops. The walkers are swarming down here , If we follow this one down west, it should be clear for us to get down and out." Your breath hitched in your throat as you saw the thin, steel ladder scaling the height of the four storey building. There was no way that thing was strong enough to hold someone, let alone three of you. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yeah. Come on, I'll go first."  You watched silently as Glenn tightened his backpack around his torso before stepping onto the first rung. You shut your eyes, biting your lip as you began pacing the small space on the landing. 

"I can't do it, I can't fucking climb that." You kept your voice low as you clasped your hands together, glancing up to see Glenn almost at the top. 

"Oi." You looked over at Daryl as he motioned for you to go up. You made your way over to him, avoiding eye contact. Standing at the base of the ladder, your hands gripped the cool metal as tight as possible. You didn't have the luxury of being afraid of something as trivial as heights anymore, not where there were real threats out there. taking a deep breath, you stared straight up and you began climbing. 

It felt like hours had passed when you finally saw the top of the building and Glenns face poking over the edge. He moved away as you hauled yourself over the top, sprawling out on the ground. Never before had you been so thankful for ground beneath you. Standing, the blood rushed to your head sending clouds of black over your vision. Glancing around, you saw the edge of the building and the long plummet to the ground. Your breath hitched in your throat, your heart beat pounding in your ears as you stumbled backwards. As your knees buckled, you began tumbling forward before a pair of strong arms pulled you back into their chest. Looking up, you saw Daryl, a confused look dominating his features. You turned and buried your face in his chest, your breath coming in pants as you tried to calm yourself. You felt him tense up before rubbing soothing circles on your back. You let your mind drift to nice things; sleeping, a field of flowers, being in Daryl's arms... Your breath began to even out and you raised your head meeting his gaze. He dropped his arms as you stepped away, keeping your eyes trained on the ground and not your surroundings. 

"I'm sorry. It's just that heights..." 

"Yeah, nah, I get it." You looked up to see Glenn several metres away, staring down the edge of the building. Lunatic. He looked up at you, offering a small smile before he motioned for you and Daryl to follow him across the building. He stopped when he reached a small room with the door slightly ajar. Pulling it open, he shone his torch in, before stepping in and holding the door for you. Daryl went down the staircase first, you and Glenn close behind. It was dark apart from the occasional glow from under the exit doors. At the bottom, you stepped out of the stair well into a glass store front. Ducking low, you watched as a lone walker staggered down the street the direction you'd just come. Glancing up at Daryl, he nodded, and the three of you made your way out onto the street...

Back at the prison, you unpacked your findings before heading back to the courtyard, sliding to the ground and staring out at the field. There was a small group of kids hanging by the fence, their yells floating through the air. pulling your knees to your chest, your eyes shot up when you heard footsteps approaching. You remained silent as Daryl sat beside you,leaning his head back against the wall. 

"Why'd ya never mention ya ain't good with heights?" You shrugged your shoulders, glancing over at him.

"Living in denial I guess." He simply hummed in response, silence washing over the two of you once again. You let out a sigh as you leant your head onto his shoulder. He laced an arm around your waist, pulling you closer, placing a kiss on the top of your head.