Chapter Eleven: All Things Must Pass

Lauries POV

The next, what, 2 months, I drowned myself in music, and went to an audition for a role in this musical called West Side Story. I auditioned for Maria, which I got. So, yay for me.

But I still felt that self-pity and loneliness I always felt when Paul wasn't there. We wrote back and forth, and called one another sometimes, but that was expensive. So we just stuck to writing.

One week, he didn't write or call at all, which was weird, seeing he wrote to me every second day. But at the end of the week, he did write me. But it wasn't a letter I exactly wanted to get:

'My beloved Laura.

I'm sorry I haven't written to you all week, we've been very busy. Shows two times a day, that lot. But nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

But I've been thinking;

I'm sorry, but it doesn't work this way. Not seeing you every day is too hard to bear. Of course I want to see you again, and be together again (if possible) when I get home. But I have to break up with you. Long-distance relationships doesn't work. I need to kiss and hug you and tell you how much I love you every day, and not on the phone or in a letter. I still love you, and I always will. And I want to be with you the way we were before I went to hamburg, when I get home. I just can't stand to tell people every day about my girlfriend who isn't here. And the fact that I don't know when I'm home, bothers me even more. I hope you understand.

Yours forever, by heart and soul, Paul xxx.'

I saw the tears drip down onto the letter. How could he do that to me! If he still loves me, why would he break up with me? Who is she?! He can't possibly be that evil!! His infidelity appalled me! I tored the letter apart, and threw it across the room. In anger I kicked and screamed at the couch, even though it wasn't alive. When my anger died down, the sadness got to me, and I just cried. I ran into my bedroom, well our bedroom, but that he can forget. I pushed myself onto the bed, head in pillow, and silently screamed.

I didn't sleep the whole night, just cried. Tears of anger, tears of sadness, tears of misbelief. I didn't leave my house for a full week. But one day, Camilla came. When she saw my face, she embraced me in a tight hug, her big blonde curls in my face.

"What happened now?"

I couldn't answer her, afraid my voice would be raspy, and full of the tears I've cried the last week.

"I've tried to call you, you know" she pulled back to look at me.

"Really?" I finally said, but my fear was right.

"What's he done?"

"He broke up with me" I said, voice quivering.

"No!?!"

"Yep. Said he couldn't handle a long-distance relationship" my eyes were tearing up at this point.

"Poor you! He hasn't been cheating, has he?"

"I don't know. I haven't answered the blasted letter"

"You shouldn't. Can I see the letter?"

"I tored it apart" I said, and that made her hug me again.

She tried to cheer me up the next following three hours. It nearly helped. She tried to get my mind off Paul, but my mind of course wouldn't leave him, at all.

"Also, I got the role!" I told her, trying to sound cheerful.

"Oh, great!" She exclaimed, looking generally happy for me.

"Have you been practising yet?"

"Well, I got the script. But I haven't been at rehearsals yet"

"When do they start?"

"Yesterday" I replied, sounding ashamed.

"Laura! You should have gone there! Don't let Paul put you down, he's just a jerk. This is your dream, don't let him ruin you! When's the next rehearsal?"

"Tomorrow"

"You should go! Get your mind of off him. Do some work!"

"Work doesn't solve everything Camilla. But you're probably right anyway. Maybe I should go"

"You should!"

And I did. And drowned myself in it. When I wasn't rehearsing the play, I was with the band or Jimmy and/or Camilla. Still, at night, the tears got to me. And I let it out. Maybe I was right, work doesn't solve anything, particularly love. Maybe Camilla was right, work does solve things. For now, I was right.