Chapter Thirteen: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

George's POV

I woke up one morning, about one week after I got deported, to the phone ringing. I groggily groaned, and sat up, hoping my mum got it. It sounded like she did, so I flopped down in bed again. That was until she came into my room.

"The phone's for you darling"

"Who is it?"

"Paul"

"What does he want?" I mumbled to myself.

She shrugged and motioned for me to come out and get it. I slowly stood up, and headed to the phone.

"Hello?" I mumbled out to him.

"Hi Geo?"

"Yes Paul?"

"He, it is you"

"Course it is, you called for me right?"

"Yes"

"Whaddya want?" I asked moodily because he woke me up, and didn't just get to the point immediately.

"Oh yes. Um, Pete and I got deported as well. We're on our way onto the ship"

"What did ya do? And why doesn't this surprise me?"

"Well, we sorta, set fire to condom" I nearly choked on my own spit there.

"What did ya do?!?"

"We..."

"No I heard ya. Why?" I cut him off. He didn't have to tell me twice.

"I don't know. We didn't mean to do any harm. We just sorta did it"

"Okay, then. When does John and Stu come home then?"

"Soon I imagine. But I gotta run now. We have to get on board. See ya"

"See ya" and we hung up on that note. Only they can do stuff like that. I can only imagine this has got something to do with Laurie as well. He probably misses her so much he just needed to do something to get home. Bad news for you mate, she doesn't want to speak to you.

I also called Laurie and warned her. I thought she needed to know.

I explained it all to her, and she seemed kinda frightened. I dunno why she's frightened, but she apparently is. He didn't exactly do any harm. But I understood that I have to protect her, and keep Paul away. She really, really doesn't want to see him.

Laurie's POV

I nearly had a panic attack when I heard that Paul will come home again. I'm determined to keep myself away from him. But I also know that whatever I do, he will find a way to 'visit' me, unfortunately. That's just the way he is.

But I have a plan: Work, work, work. We're nearly finished with the play, so the next couple of weeks it's 12 hours rehearsal every day. That'll keep him away.

The premiere of West Side Story is at 30th January 1961. So nearly two months till the grand opening, as it's December 4th today. I'm both excited and nervous at the same time.

~30th January - after the grand opening~

I think the show went fine. I made all of the mistakes that you have to make at the first show. George, Jimmy and Camilla were there to see me. That just made it worse. Paul might have been there aswell, but I didn't see him. Luckily.

~a few months later~

25th March, to be exact. I got to know that George and the other boys are going back to Hamburg. Day after tomorrow. And of course, he asked me to come say goodbye to him, John, Stu and Pete, he said nothing about Paul, which was a bit strange. But I, of course, came and said goodbye to them all.

To my disliking, Paul was there, Geo just didn't want to tell me.

I went up to George first, gave him a big, tight hug, and whispered;

"Why didn't ya tell me that Paul's here too? Ya could've warned me"

"Sorry" he apologized in a high-pitched voice. I groaned at him.

I went on to hug stu, Pete and John. When I got to John, he held onto me a little longer than he usually would.

"Why is it so awkward with Paul and you?"

"Ya don't know?"

"No"

"Well ah. Long story" I hurried to say. I didn't want him to know about it.

"Um okay. But ya have to tell me at some point"

"Right, just not now"

My mind screamed; what am I going to do! Now Paul stood there, looking hopeful, still staring at the ground. I'm not going to hug him! But I can't deny it, it was nice seeing him again. I've missed him so much. But whatever I might face, I'm not going to hug him.

Paul's POV

There she is! My girl. But damn, this is awkward. I just want to hug her, but she hesitated so much that it would just be wrong.

Suddenly, behind me, I heard; "c'mon boys, we have to go!". Shit! Now there's no chance of hugging her, even coming near her. And it looked like she just saw a way to escape.

She hurried saying goodbye and waving, and turning around. There she goes, out of my life again. But I know it was my own fault. I got the job in Hamburg to a start. I broke up with her. Even when we were kids, I was the one who kissed that bird. Right from the start, I was the bastard. She's just got to live through it all. I've only just realised that actually. Okay then, I understand why she's hating me now. I would do the same if I were her.

Damn! I've really ruined everything! I can't even keep a relationship with the love of my life!

"Paul? Are you awake?" I suddenly hear john in my ear. In the midst of my self pity.

"Wha'? Yeah, I'm here"

"We have to get going now mate"

"Alright" I said, trying to sound cheerful, but failing miserably. I tried looking after her, see if I could get a last glimpse of her. But she was gone. She was out... out of my life.