Chapter 2

Gerard paced his living room with his phone to his ear, waiting for his ex girlfriend to pick up the phone. Melissa was already asleep in her bed so he thought it would be the perfect time to call Lindsey and talk about taking Melissa to the Fair. "Hello."

"Hey...Lindsey. About tomorrow-"

"What about tomorrow, Gerard?" She sighed and he heard rustling in the background. "I was thinking maybe we should take Mel to the Fair." Gerard had changed his mind in a split second about it just being him. He hadn't even asked Frank or brought it up. His sudden decision was just in the heat of the moment and he honestly thought it wasn't a bad idea. Besides, Melissa would love to have both her parents watching have fun on a Purple turning elephant. "It's only in town for a couple more days."

He didn't know why but he held his breath until Lindsey replied, "Okay."

After their phone call, Gerard took his shower and switched off all the lights before checking in on Melissa. She was in the fetal position underneath her blanket, sucking on her thumb. Gerard smiled endearingly and then made his way to his own bedroom where he cracked the door out of habit before getting into his comfortable King sized bed that he'd had since forever.

He was awoken by the shrill ring of his phone on the nightstand. "Ugghhhhh..." Gerard groaned, breathing in pillow air before finally reaching an arm out. His hand tapped the wooden surface until the familiar rectangle shaped piece was underneath his hand. Gerard knew his phone like the back of his hand, so he tapped the area of the screen that would put his phone on speaker.

"Who is it?" He grunted, his eyes still shut.

"Why the hell are you still asleep?" Frank asked. Gerard sighed and opened an eye to read the clock.

11:12 am.

"Why the fuck are you up?" Gerard replied.

"Because I'm taking Alex to the Fair and you're coming with me and unless you're bringing extra money to pay for Mel after 1 then go ahead." Frank scoffed. "Dad, can I bring my Ipod?" Gerard heard Alex ask. "Yeah."

"My God.." Gerard sighed, an actually whimper leaving his mouth.

"Bring your ass man." Frank said before hanging up.

30 minutes later, Gerard was buckling his belt, glancing at the clock again. Lindsey was supposed to have arrived.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang and Gerard stumbled as he jogged out of his room to the door. He opened it and there stood the mother of his child, her Black hair in a pony tail, not like the majority of the times he'd seen her. "Morning!" She smiled as she walked in. "Hey." Gerard said, closing the door behind her. "Mommy!" Melissa yelled as she ran into the room, hugging her mom across the waist. Gerard left them to themselves as he went to put on his shoes.

"Ready?" Lindsey asked when he grabbed his keys. Gerard nodded. "Where are we going?" Melissa asked as she stepped out of their apartment. "It's a surprise." Both Gerard and Lindsey answered in unison, making Melissa laugh.

The look on Frank and Lindsey's faces once they saw each other was enough to make Gerard want to lock himself in a coffin and be buried alive. His heart beat faster and he bit his bottom lip as they got closer and closer to Frank and Alex. "Uncle Frank! I didn't know you were here!" Melissa smiled and ran up to hug him. He chuckled and hugged her back. "Yep." Frank's face may have been happily lit and glowing when he looked at Melissa, but once he eyed Gerard everything changed for a split second. Then, he quickly fixed it and Gerard's mind swayed.

Frank jammed his hands in his pockets, leaving out his thumbs, and glanced at Lindsey before looking at Gerard.

You didn't tell me this thing was joining us.