Chapter 12

Gerard doesn't go to sleep that night. Instead, he brings out his paints and a fresh canvas and puts his artist mind to work. He doesn't know what he's painting and most of the time he does. But tonight is different. He just starts with a simple stroke of black and then it goes from there.

He wakes up on the floor some hours later, realizing that when he took a break from painting he had obviously fallen asleep. After a few hacking coughs and groans, and the squinting of his eyes because of the sunlight that shines in, he looks at the canvas.

On it is a picture of Frank's perfectly structured face. All the sharp curves and shaped features represent the one man that was now his boyfriend. The painting was black and white and Gerard doesn't even remember deciding to paint him or actually painting him. When a sudden knock on the door jars him from his daze he gets up, stumbling from the quick amount of pressure put on his sleepy legs, and walks out of his room to the front door. He opens it without asking who it was and sees Frank leaning against the wall.

He's surprised. "Frank."

"I would have been over last night but I got an unexpected visit from Jamia."

He's really surprised. "Jamia?" He hasn't heard her name in years. Frank makes sure not to mention it.

"Yep." He sighs as Gerard steps aside so he could walk in. "Apparently, she wanted to spend more time with her son and take him for a week."

"What?!" Gerard says, confused as hell. He stands in front of Frank who leans against the table. "She can't just come and do that."

"Whatever, man. I didn't want problems to rise from me saying no. Alex really didn't want to go though." He adds the last bit a little thoughtfully. Gerard's phone rings from his room and he excuses himself as he leaves to answer it.

L's Mom.

Holy shit.

He forgot all about them knowing and maybe wanting to talk. Fuck. Instantly, he's exhausted and doesn't want to talk to anyone. His fingers are shaking as he presses his screen.

"He-"

"Gerard! So lovely to hear your voice again. It's Lindsey's mother. I know we aren't in the best of shape right now but I just wanted to call and tell you Steve and I are heading over to Jersey. It'd be good for us all and we haven't seen our grandbaby in forever!"

Then, there's a deep and gruff voice from the other side and before Gerard can even wrap his mind around what was said, she's telling him bye and hangs up.

He stares at his phone before letting out this weird whimper and throwing it on his bed. As soon as he walks back into the dining room where Frank is sitting in a chair on his phone, another person knocks on his door.

"Fuck!" He hisses. He hasn't even made coffee or brushed his teeth yet. Jesus christ.

He stares at the door which makes Frank snort.

"Lindsey's parents are coming."

"Oh. Cool?" Frank raises an eyebrow.

Again, Gerard just opens the door and finds Luke standing there.

"What the fuck?" Spews out Gerard's mouth of his volition. Luke goes red and clears his throat. "Uhm...Hi."

"What do you want?"

"I just came to talk."

"No offense but I don't want to." Gerard tries to close the door but Luke sticks his foot in. "Gerard, I just want to say I'm sorry. And if I could, I'd like to tell Melissa too."